Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

two languages

I find that one of the most trying things for the student is technical terms. Wordsthat are not found in their language. This is very troubling to them.

Learning court reporting is like having two languages. It requires a great deal of memorization, quick thinking, word knowledge, spelling skills and finger dexterity. If the students cannot remember a court reporting outline or brief, they have to be taught to build the word by use of hearing the word and then writing it. It takes a lot of skill to do that quickly and accurately. The two languages are the steno outlines and to be able to correctly read that outline and be able to transcribe that outline into English. The teacher must be able to help the student by increasing the student's vocabulary knowledge, have the student read back and transcribe the steno outlines and memorize the root words.

Hi Gail!

We can certainly consider this process for use with students in other classroom settings - reading back and transcribing can be valuable for all students.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

I find that it is easy to teach people with more than one language because they more open to discuss and try to get the idea rather then just memorize the particular term.

True I am bilingual and have many students that need me to use my second language to explain somthing. I do run into trouble when it is a technical term.

I agree, it is sometimes difficult to explain something to a student that is an ELL. I have found that if I do a little more research, I am able to explain myself better and relate the information to the student.

I totally agree; doing the homework with big lessons pays off in spades for ESL students. With some classes, the vocabulary requirements alone can be like learning a second language; imagine if you had to learn English on top of it!

Dealing with students who are using two languages can be trying. I just try to work with the person and come up with ways to describe what I am talking about so that they can understand as the rest of the class does. I've also found it helpful if the class adds to the discussion and gives examples. The second language student doesn't feel left out if the other students share and they can relate to what is being shared.

That is a really good idea. I need to try that next time. I usually help the student in class and I also offer to help them one on one before or after the class. I like your idea of having the entire class involved.

Hi Tammy,
I agree, I have several students in my A&P class that are bi-lingual but speak more spanish than english. They also have very heavy accents and most of them do not like to speak in class. I motivate them by showing videos with a subtitle in Spanish so no one in my class is left out. I have also translated in class and these students are passing my class with scores in the 90's. The only problem is my manager does not agree with my translation in the classroom and feels that the only reason why those students are passing is because of the translation I give them.
I feel this is unfair to the student. When the ELL student registered for the course I am sure in the admission application one of the questions is what is your primary language? The school did not have a problem accepting payment for the course. In addition upon hiring myself, it is a plus to be a bi-lingual teacher. Why is it a problem to translate a few words or anatomy terms in class and tutor them to help understand the course in two languages as long as the students do well in the course. I feel it is owe to them. After all, thanks to all the students that register we all have jobs.

I agree. My students have to learn medical terminology; that alone is a "language". Dealing with language barriers is a real challenge! Also, the lack of "basic" education is alarming. I get so many high school graduates that can barely read or write, much less comprehend!

I TOTALLY AGREE, SOMETIMES DURING AN EXAM A STUDENT WILL RAISE THEIR HAND AND ASK "WHAT IS A POPCICLE." tHE POPCICLE WAS IRRELEVENT, BUT THEY WERE SO HUNG UP ON NOT KNOWING THE WORD. IT HAS BEEN A REAL CHALLENGE.

Yvonne,
definitely a challenge that we have to work through & help our students understand the various differences in words & definitions.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment