Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning strategies

An instrutor can encourage learning by using different teaching strategies.

Just as students learn in different ways, Instructors can share information in different ways. I tell my students that if I say something that is difficult to understand than maybe we can get help from another instructor to explain it differently or get peer tutoring on the subject. Simply to get a different perspective.

Dan,
yes, the rephrasing is a fantastic way to try & reach all learners.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Better yet, I tell my student to stop me and ask for further explanation during the lecture. I also make myself available for help after class, as needed.

Paulette,
the more we can welcome those questions asking for clarification during the lecture, the greater chance we will have of making sure they truly understand.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

another way besides lecturing is using the internet , websites , medical documentaries as a source of information.

sharmalan,
and having the students conduct these searches in class is a great way to incorporate some of this technolgy.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have found that creating study groups of better students with those struggling has made a big difference. It develops a team concept and bond between students which spills over into the classroom. Students with learning issues become more participative and vocal with this type of support. In addition, I still interject strategies along with learning resource staff.

James,
the peer to peer tutoring & learning is a great way to help all students increase their understanding.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment