Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Relevance

I like the emphasis on relevance. Students have so many choices on where to devote their time and attention that they will naturally disengage from learning that they don't think is relevant. A teacher who strives to make lessons relevant is naturally approaching their teaching in a student centered way. When you consider how something could be relevant to students, you must have an understanding of who your students are and why they're in class.

I agree with Rob. Often the question is asked "why is this important for me?" and if I as an instructor can link it to something that is practical I seems to have more traction. Even more importantly, if a student can make a reference as to how it helps them to understand something in their own experience, even better.

Robert,
In my classes I strive for relevancy and application. Your comments illustrate the importance of showing relevancy in the learning process. If students do not see relevancy to what they are learning then they don't associate value to the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Often I try to show the relevance of the course that I teach to my students by exsplaining how it helped me in my career. But first it truely has to be relevant to me. I've learned that the best way to help them to make the connection is to see the connection for yourself.

Marvin,
This is what keeps students engaged. They have to personalize the course to themselves and see how it will benefit them in the future. If they don't make the connection they have a hard time seeing value in what is being taught. Your approach helps them see that value.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Often I will have a student share a personal experience, or I will give one to demonstrate relevance. Sometimes I will use a current event

Cynthia,
This is a good way to show students that you value the life experiences they bring to class. In addition by having them share other students gain additional insight into how life experiences impact career exploration and development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Absolutely. Any course you teach should have some relevance to you, otherwise - why teach the course. Even basic courses, say, Intro to Management, which I have taught, has to be relevant to the teacher. The trick is to make it releveant to the students, some who probably just, "have to take the course to graduate".

Douglas,
I teach a required upper level courses needed to get state certification so I can relate to your comments. I have to bring zeal and passion for the content and show students how the course content impacts their lives so they don't just dismiss the course as another hoop to jump through prior to graduation.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree. Students want to be able to associate what they're learning to the skills they will be performing in the field. Our students tend to check the syllabus calendar and decide what days are not "as important," and take off or come to class late. For instance, if we have a skills test scheduled, the students will not miss. On the other hand, if the day is lecture only, they may choose to sleep in. I have found that explaing why the lectures are relevant adds value for most students.

Rob is exactly correct. In addition to the great techniques that have been discussed to increase the relevancy of the materials, it is necessary to set expectations. This starts with the title and the course description. Students sign up for professional development courses with the expectation that it will meet their particular needs for performance improvement, expansion of skills, or new opportunities. And, while good instructors can and do adjust to meet the needs of the students, sometimes the flexibility is limited. Setting expectations before the class begins with an accurate course title and description and listing the course learning objectives (when space permits) goes a long way to ensuring relevancy for the students and also maintaining motivation during the course.

Shelia,
I have the same challenge with my students. I am frequently asked about the next class. They ask "are we going to do anything important in class tomorrow?". This really sets me off because I believe we do something important each time we meet. I answer them by having almost every class meeting result in points earned. I have a number of points (called Professional Points) that are given throughout the course. The students earn them during discussions, Q&A sessions, and case studies. This means that each class can generate points which leads to an improved grade and I get improved attendance.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Thanks for the reply Gary. It also sets me off, because I feel that each session is important as well. I like the idea of points earned.I give extra credit from time to time, however, your system will prove to be more beneficial to the students. Thanks again.

Shelia,
Thank you for the kind words. I wish you much teaching success and that your students appreciate the effort you are making to help them move closer to their career goals.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I also think that not teaching the same class over and over, but teaching differnt classes makes sense. This way your lessons can reflect on what they have learned and what they will learn in the next class.

Stephen,
Good way to keep the students as the center of the learning process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I also will bring people in from the industry to talk about their personal experiences and how it is relevant. Sometimes this is more effective then them hearing it from me time and time again.

Tania,
I agree and share your feelings about having guest speakers come in an share about their field. As instructors we serve some what like parents in that we tell them things about the field because we are suppose to but they often don't hear us because we are teachers. When someone from the field says the same thing they go "wow that is great information and we are glad you shared it with us." Same message different messenger.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Having relevance works both way as an instructor. The reason why your students are taking the class; unemployed, looking to gain a better career, in other words why are they taking the class. Then a person can see the reasoning behind the student. The same can be said for the instructor to student. Giving practical reasoning behind a topic or step can help the student learn a hard class. I have heard that if a person learns to teach another, they get better results rather than trying to memorize in order to pass a test.

Stephen,
You are right about students that help/teach others have a higher rate of retention of the content. There is an old saying that reinforces your point and it is "to teach is to learn twice, one as a student and again as the teacher". I think this is so true so student presentations and demonstrations can be valuable learning tools for us to use.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment