Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learner's Autonomy

I try to maintain the autonomy of my students by frequently requesting their input. Whether it be a choice between two forms of review or choices between which assignment they would like to complete in class vs. homework. I find that with a predominantly adult group, this sense of autonomy is important to them. Many already feel a little insecure about becoming a student again. I am also a younger educator and I think that sometimes causes older people to resist asking for extra help. However, making them feel like they are part of the process it helps them become more comfortable and open to being taught.

Stephania,
You have a good strategy working for you and your students. The more input you get the more information you have in terms of how to shape your instructional delivery. Also, you are showing value to your students since you are listening to them. A win win situation.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

My students are from different cultures ,about the age of 40 with family and relative issues . I'm using their knowledge, their life experience ,their own culture and their availability for instructional delivery. They have more homework and they pass individual test on the computer .

Giving students a choice in how they learn or how a lesson plan is approched gives the student a little extra motivation to learn

I also ask students for input. I may use suggestions from them but they do not know ahead of time which I will use. I use more than one and I try to mix things up to keep everyone interested.

Sonja,
Good way to balance your instructional delivery based upon the student input you get. This lets them know you are personalizing your instruction to them and this increases their motivation.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I sometimes experience resistance on projects not receiving grades as completion of the course is based on passing exam/quiz grades but do feel projects and assignments enhance the overall learning experience and retention of information.

Denise,
Is it possible to evaluate the projects with some type of point system even if they are not graded. By coming up with some type of evaluation you increase the value of the projects in the minds of the students and hopefully would be able to reduce their feeling that the projects are not worth the effort. In my classes I am able to assign points to the projects which are then counted into the final grade along with the quiz grades.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I find many occasions students get too hung up on the number or letter grade rather than realizing the information they have learned. I always try to tell them not to get too caught up in the numbers and instead focus on the goals ahead. The numbers usually work out in the long run if they are applying themselves.

Sign In to comment