Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hello Dee,
Rubrics are concrete. You can develop a rubric for any assignment. I am not sure of which rubric you are asking about.
Patricia

Hello Carriann,
I concur. Females are very cliquey. The idea of putting them in groups so that they can meet others is great. We have to encourage group activties.
Patricia

Yes, females can be cliquey but so can different ethnic groups. One set of students may perceive that another student or students are getting more of specal attention from the instructor. This is very damaging to maintaining a good class environment. Don't play into these situations - treat everyone with respect and command respect. I do believe in dealing on an individual basis with class problems. Don't discuss the demographis and keep the problem going. Deal with individual students who seem to have an attitude in private and don't let them set your class mood.

Hi Christine,
Nicely responded to. You're right. I have seeing different ethnic groups having cliques as well. The role of the instructor is to treat every student the same, regardless.
Patricia

By assigning seats, which I do by going by alphabet. I also find that you do tend to break up there little groups. And also giving them a chance to grow, By learning what Others might have to offer. I tell them that in the real world they do not have the ablity to pick there co-workers, their boss does that for them.

Hi Michael,
What a great practical experience for your students.
Patricia

I too,teach courses that are at the end of the program. There are often cliques by then. I agree with you that one of the most effective ways to handle this is during small group/ or discussion work. I break them into groups with someone they usually don't work with. They often are not happy at first, then I notice they are really focused on the task I assigned, and spent time with someone they may not have otherwise.

Hi Jeni,
This certainly is a great way to break cliques and allow students to become familiar with others. Your buddy may not be your work partner at work, therefore you need to know how to get along with others.
Patricia

Sign In to comment