Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like extra preparation. If I'm really anxious, I will even memorize at least parts of my presentation. I will go over it so many times that I will have some of it memorized without even trying to. Planning for problems or having back-up plans available will also help to put me at ease. Eating and resting well beforehand gives me the best opportunity to remain calm and focused. Deep breathing, exhaling, and praying also keep me from showing frayed nerves.

To reduce anxiety in class, the instructor should come to class prepared for the course. As teaching professionals, we are persons who can be subject to mistakes and sometimes miss some information,and student can understand those situations if handled carefully.

Stick with an outline or a well layed out curriculum. It could be almost scrpt to help you break the ice and get flowing.

I need to have a plan and know exactly what I am going to be covering and have it all written out. If I don't then I will be super nervous.

I agree that over preparing helps ease some anxiety prior to class. Much of my anxiety comes when I think that a student will ask me a question that I don't know the answer to. Personally, to diffuse the nervousness that accompanies that fear, I like to let students know that I may not know the answer to everything but I will always keep track of any questions I can't answer and provide them with an answer the following week. Setting this precedent with my students at the beginning allows me to feel less nervous, because students seem to be very accepting that they may have questions that require further research, and don't seem to expect me to be a walking encyclopedia.

Hi Nicole,
No one knows it all. I have been teaching for more than 24 years, and I too sometimes do not know the answer and will have to find the answer and get back with students with the response. Students respect us more if we are honest and follow through.

Patricia Scales

I remember the feeling of anxiety I went through when getting ready to teach my first class. This is very similar to what is known as "stage fright". To counter this one must built that self-confidence (which seems to be lacking on your first try). And the way to do it is be well prepared (in fact, be over prepared). That always builds up your self-confidence. If you are mentally organized and prepared, all it needs is to get the ball rolling and you are on your way to a successful teaching.

Hi Syed,
I concur! Preparation is key! Planning is essential when it comes to teaching.

Patricia Scales

Whenever I teach a new class I always put in extra preparation time and make sure my knowledge of the subject is as "air tight" as possible. This gives me confidence in properly conveying the information needed for the course.

I sure had anxiety on my first day of instructing, however, since I knew my subject well, I soon relaxed and realized it's not that bad. The key is to have confidence in your subject matter and be glad you have the ability to show off your skills of knowledge, especially when students ask questions and without hesitation you answer.
I also setup and prepare just in case I run out of time. Never failed me yet.

One way that I have overcome pre-class nerves is to constantly tell myself that I have something that these students need, and if they didn't need the knowledge that I had, they wouldnlt be here. It boosts your confidence to know that you hold the key! YOU have EXACTLY what your students PAID FOR!

To reduce anxiety, I know to be prepared and to have my room assignment set the day before. Having a Plan B has truly helped to reduce this anxiety as well. I have noticed the students too have less anxiety because they know that I have taken the necessary steps to secure a place for the lecture, and they are not wandering to find which room they will be in.

Ann,
I agree that knowing the subject matter makes the instructor experience much better. As a nursing student, it was easy to recognize the instructors who had a passion for their specialty expertise.

when I taught my first class I almost fainted and had to have another instructor step in for me for 10 mins.. After that I always had a handout or activity for them to do just in case I needed a min .

I agree. I also take time to prepare and go over the subject before lecturing to the class. This gives me confidence and helps me to articulate clearly.

An easy way to get over pre-class nerves is to arrive to class early and start small talk with the students. This will help build a connection with the students as long as help you settle in a feel comfortable in front of the class.

Repetition is a way to overcome instructor anxiety. The more one teaches (gets in front of the class)the anxiety is reduced. A good way also is to know as much about your students as possible. Lastly, if one knows his/her material, anxiety is lessened. I'm sure this module will have moe interesting ways for lessening of instructor anxiety.

Before every new class I find that I am always extremely nervous. I want the students to feel confident in my ability to teach the subject material. Understand that I have been working in all of the disciplines I teach, but I still get the first day jitters.

To overcome this issue I begin each class the exact same way. I introduce myself and stipulate that there is no such thing as a dumb question except the one not asked, which encourages everyone to participate. Then I go over the course syllabus and objectives and ask them if they have any questions. Getting the student confident about asking questions and encourage them to participate always seems to be the ice-breaker for me and the students.

Before every new class I find that I am always extremely nervous. I want the students to feel confident in my ability to teach the subject material. Understand that I have been working in all of the disciplines I teach, but I still get the first day jitters.

To overcome this issue I begin each class the exact same way. I introduce myself and stipulate that there is no such thing as a dumb question except the one not asked, which encourages everyone to participate. Then I go over the course syllabus and objectives and ask them if they have any questions. Getting the student confident about asking questions and encourage them to participate always seems to be the ice-breaker for me and the students.

Go into class over prepared. Dont be afraid to ask for help.

Sign In to comment