Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

stay in control of your class, don't let a "problem" student destroy the learning in your class, take every opportunity to work out the issues the student is having and in worst case follow proper school procedure to have the student removed from class  document interactions with student and options given, dates and times of these consultations

With my CTE course I've found projects help prevent cheating.

Managing an angry disgruntled student is challenging, especially when they have no intentions of wanting or finding a solution. It can be disruptive to class. With the support of the director of the program, I was able to find a solution that was eventually accepted by the individual. 

I learned the best position for the instructor during testing, I did not realize walking around the room may create anxiety. I also gained a better understanding of strategies to implement for the silent student. 

Wow! So many things to do in a classroom besides teach!  Now we manage student behavior.  Strategies are: moving around, take the 20 second survey, eye contact. As far as exams & cheating ACC uses ATI exams.  The instructor does stand at the back of the class to observe student behaviors.  For the silent students I like the suggestion for students to write an "information card" the first day of class so I can get to know them &  their experiences.

Hearing out an angry student and having a conversation with them might be all they need. Often they are not angry with you, but it is, misdirected anger about something else.

Continuing with the idea of balancing class attention- don't let an individual student consume excessive amounts of your time. It is easy for one student to get you involved in his or her project. Get too involved with an individual project and time gets away from you, resulting in the In item 8, the suggestion is to balance your attention between all of your students. other students being "left out." Students notice that they can absorb your time and start to vie for your attention at the beginning of the class to ensure that they get preferential treatment.

Always listen first. Allow a frustrated student to get out their frustrations because maybe it is just a misunderstanding

Schedule "off hours" to talk to the student about their behavior and ask yourself how you can tailor the lesson plan to keep them engaged. 

I have dealt with cheating in every program that I have taught. I utilize policy and procedures to ensure the school is protected. I like some of the ideas presented here to deter cheating and will implement them in the classroom setting. 

In nursing, we learn the first step to treatment is to assess. In the teaching realm, we also must assess first prior to responding. This is done by listening and looking for cues through body language. Once we have allowed the student to vent, we can utilize therapeutic communication by reflecting back what we think the student has said prior to responding.

Good to know that an angry student needs you to listen. This was mentioned so many times, I believe it must be very important.  I can see how this can help them calm down and hopefully be able to express their frustration. At my institution we don't have flexibility to change up the exams.

From my past experience, setting the behavioral expectations in the very beginning of the class mostly helps but there are mostly couple of students who are the trouble makers in the class and pose very challenging for the instructor. Majority of the times, a lot is going on in their lives at the time in addition to them being students. The workload is very challenging and time consuming but they are in denial that they have way more on their plate than that they can handle. This is what gives rise to take the short cut ways and these students become angry students, blame the instructors, have incomplete assignments, cheat during exams, etc.                  Talking to these students privately and listening to their issues usually helps in changing their behavior. Once they start to feel that the instructor really cares about them and will have some suggestions for their success, there is change in their behavior. This course had a lot of good suggestions and awesomw ways to deal with the challenging students.

Paying such close attention to your students will also enable you to recognize emerging problems.

how to handle angry students

let student express how they are feeling about a situation, and keep a watchful eye out for cheaters.

I like the idea of taking notes when in conference with an angry student.

How important it is to monitor student's behavior at the beggining of course,which helps keep students on task and also the inclusionary dimension.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

The key to reducing cheating is definitely to minimize opportunities for cheating.

Always listen and set the expectations for everyone to maintain order.

Sign In to comment