Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

extra credit options

I find it ambiguous when deciding exactly how much and what type of extra credit should be offered. Some instructors add extra credit onto a test while others offer projects specifically for extra credit. What is a general rule of thumb?

I don't think there is a universal rule of thumb. Depending on your course content you can do either. Perhaps if you were teaching plumbing a good extra credit would be to solve a complicated fitting adaption, or write out the valve system for elimination. For a didactic add some problem solving to the end, but for those who don't get it, don't make them feel stupid.

I give bonus questions in every test. Granted, they are difficult, but learners really like knowing they can score over 100%.

Hi Angela:
A lot of institutions are going to a "no extra credit" rule due to the fact that too much extra credit may allow the student the chance to pass a course when they haven't demonstrated an understanding of the main ideas.

Regards, Barry

Hi Oliveira:
The potential issue with extra credit is the student may be able to pass the course without deomnstrating an ability to articulate the basic ideas.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment