Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

asking student about the lesson covered

I have found that even asking the class as a whole it does not get all involved so I started asking each student somehting that was covered or even sometimes more than one question. I have even asked other students if they can help the student with the question, is this a good way to get the students involved with the questions being asked or should I leave it with an open floor when asking or covering the material that was in the lesson?

Hi Charles - Occasionally asking another student to help a student with an answer is OK. I would be careful how I worded it; for example, "John , do you think you can add to Ann's answer?" Another thing you could do is to deliberately call on a student (who does not participate) but be sure to ask a question that you KNOW they can answer. Perhaps set the stage the day before by talking with that student about the topic so that you will be sure they will know the answer. In many cases the key is just giving them self-confidence. Best wishes - Susan

I use the roll sheet to deliberately call on every student in the class. I do it routinely so that they expect it and don't feel as if they are being singled out. So far it seems to help keep them on thier toes.

Since I teach a Baking class... Mixing method are key to understand, I usually, start the class/lab with a review of the methods discussed or learned. That way I can clarify if any doubts or refresh if forgotten.

I like asking questions about the lesson covered and the trick I think is, to let the students know you will be doing this and it will be a continuous process. This way, they are not startled and they expect it. Even some less cooperative students will start paying more attention during the delivery and will participate willingly. If your questions are connected with showing and doing, it works like a charm.

Sign In to comment