Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rediretion

When teaching a course in learning a certain software, I find that redirection is commonly used when answering a question. For example, if I ask a student, "Give me four ways to zoom in and out of your page on the computer," most of the time I get two to three correct or semi-correct answers. When this happens, I address the issue at hand, then ask another student to add to or finish answering the question correct.y.

Donald,

This is great, you use probing to guide the class to teh correct information. This interactive method makes it more interesting for students.

Judy Mohammed

I really appreciate redirection as a classroom practice because it turns the class into an open forum. It encourages everyone to get involved with the question and often the expansion on these ideas helps to improve memory retention.

Tom,

I use this all the time; however, you need to ensure that the class does not run off on a tangent.

Judy Mohammed

I do something similar to your method but I also like to mix it up. I will start with someone who answers a question (correctly or not) and have them choose a classmate to add on or help out. Sometimes I use a small soft ball to through around the room: whoever gets it, answers the question. If they are not correct or partially correct they get to throw it to (at) someone else. They also get to through it for the next question if they answer it correctly.

James,

This is excellent - I even use this method of throwing the bsll for professional development classes and they enjoy it.

Judy Mohammed

I like the idea of passing the ball to another student. This engages the class as a whole and it also reminds me of what we refer to as a 'state change' (a change in the environment or something that 'wakes up' the brain), which helps keep the students engaged.
I may have to try this one myself...
Thanx!

Colin,

Passing the ball is fun; it keeps the students alert and interactive.

Judy Mohammed

This can be used for review as long as it stays on task.

Ray,

Do you have problems keeping the students on track?

Judy Mohammed

I use a variation of this, but without throwing anything around the classroom. An open question is asked and a student is selected to answer that question. I then usually make some (positive) comment about the answer and then ask if anyone can add to or contribute more to the answer. Several students usually raise their hand, but I call upon a student who did not raise their hand to draw them in to participate. This takes a little longer for a response, but it basically aids those students more as compared to those eager-beaver students who always want to answer. Depending upon the answer(s), it may be redirected several times -- even to the extent of having everyone in the classroom contributing to a single question. Then I'll do a summation of the question and the various responses.

R. Maurice,

I alos call on studnets who do not raise their hands. My studnets know that they need to be prepared because they will be called upon.

Judy Mohammed

Sign In to comment