Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adult Learning

Being that Im in a small school and we are currently at 15-1 ratio we have the ability to teach several different styles and methods in one classroom sitting.

This allows us to reach more students with the same material at one time. We can even adlib material and tell stores or bring in real-life situations to the class. This allows the students to see the need to learn this material at this time.

Greg,

Adult learners need to know why they are asked to learn something or do something. Consider starting and ending class meetings with this type of information.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I teach in a very diverse environment both ethnically and chronologically. Over the last few years I have learned the value of engaging students in the classroom through the use of peer tutoring and relationship building exercises. Older students sometimes suffer from stereotype vulnerability and are unwilling to ask questions or work in teams with younger students who may be perceived as more technologically savy or more cutting edge in their knowledge. Sharing knowledge and breaking down glass walls to create a better learning environment and a higher level of diverse engagement strategies have been the positive outcomes.

Great post, James. Thank you for sharing what works for you in this environment.

Jeffrey Schillinger

James,

When you have been born and raised in South Florida as I have, you become accustomed to cultural differences and embrace it as a way of life. We have large Latin American, Caribbean and European populations. When I enter my classroom, both online and face to face, I then can include these cultures as well as Middle Eastern, African and Asian. It is all that I have ever known. I have travelled extensively throughout the world on every continent except Antarctica and generally not as a typical tourist. I have been “in the bush” so to speak and ate, drank and slept as different cultures do.

Diversity is not limited to culture but also includes age, gender Now having said that, what have I learned about appreciating learner diversity? I have learned to build upon it as shared perspectives from around the world, different age groups, different professions, different values, and different attitudes can add tremendous value to a group. I actively participate in discussion boards and I am always amazed how much diversity can contribute to learning outcomes. I have an enormous appreciation for students who are not just looking for solutions to better support their family, but scholar-practitioners who want to create new knowledge dedicated to the improvement of social conditions and to positively impact society.
Jean

I try to relate to my adult learners by giving examples of my own real life experiences and draw out of them their experiences to tie to the classroom theories.

Brian,

These are good approaches. Explaining how you were once where they are now and have succeeded can sometimes be inspirational.

Jeffrey Schillinger

You're right, Greg. I have had many older adult learners ask me the "why" of learning and have been prepared for their question as I am also an older adult learner myself. My younger students usually accept that I teach them without many questions. I believe that because I have many years of practical on-the-job experience and a lot of experience in teaching, I am able to give them good reasons why it is important to learn what I am teaching them.

Teaching adults for a long time, I was pleased to find research to validate some of the techniques I have found useful. In particular, having students create games is approved and mentioned several times. I have found this helps adults review for testing. And working with adults describes my approach to helping students work with acute mental illness patients. I use example and encourage each to jump in and take over as I become more of an observer. After a brief time, we go to a private area and talk about the intervention and the student gains experience, hands- on and confidence.

Angela,

Thanks for this post. It appears you are serving your adult students well.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment