Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Increasing student engagement with passionate delivery of content

I have been an instructor for only 5 years at a vocational educational institution for future mechanics. We have 5 hour long classes 5 days a week. I have found that keeping students engaged during the lecture portions of a lesson is not only the most difficult part but also a critical component to successful labs later on. This is especially true in of classes with high student counts and night classes where many of the students have already worked for 8 hours plus travel time. In my limited experience I have found the greatest successes when I deliver the material with great passion, a bit of humor, and repetition of material. I try to reach different learner styles and spice up the repetitive nature of my delivery by varying presentation formats between power-point, discussion, and demonstrations. I try to give value to the material citing practical applications and relating real world experiences from my years as a mechanic.
It seems to work well although it would be nice to learn other instructional styles to add to my repertoire. I have found that attending other instructors lectures when possible most helpful even if it is another class. I have also found myself wishing I could tape my delivery, although I think it would be hard for me to watch as I tend to be self critical.

John,

There are several good teaching strategies that may be helpful to you. Please email me at jeffreyschillinger@hotmail.com and I will send you a few things I have collected over the years that may work well for you as you seek to find ways to get even better. I encourageyou to film yourself. You'll see many positives.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Hello John,
I teach in an associate degree program for working professionals. We have four-hour long classes twice a week at night. I've noticed many of the same things you have--passion for the topic, humor and enthusiasm are key to keeping learners engaged. However, have you noticed that sometimes it makes it hard to keep the student/teacher line firm? I notice that some misinterpret my humor for trying to be their friend. It's a tough balance for me because I teach them without a break for about 9 months.
Any thoughts?
Thank you,
Jennifer Campbell

Jennifer,

This can e a challenge. The answer may be to limit the type of humor to only things that do not weaken the student teacher barrier. I love to joke and have found that the humor that wors well with peers may not work as well with students as the relationships have to be different. You can still e funny, but the jokes need to be such that we are not getting to intimate with our students. A good rule of thumb is asking if I would say this to a stranfger. When is doubt, make fun of Congress. :)

Jeffrey Schillinger

I certainly agree with you that it is a tough line to walk, especially since you spend so much time with them. Here are some of things I try to do or not to do. I try to keep the subject matter of conversations with students to only those related directly to class and the material. Additionaly I try not to minimize the amount of personal information I share with students. When I do share stories of a personal nature they relate to the material we are covering and usually about past situations I found myself in where the knowledge/insight I was providing them with helped me or could have helped me. I sometimes have to bluntly but nicely remind students that the student to teacher relationship has bounderies that must be kept. Most students completely understand and usually "step back" a little. I hope some of that helps. :)

John,

Thanks for this well-ewritten post. It should help others with like challenges.

Jeffrey Schillinger

"...with great passion, a bit of humor, and repetition of material."-- Very well stated. It is also helpful to engage students by providing examples that may relate to their lives. Students tend to really enjoy hearing some of your personal but odd experiences on the subject. It breaks up the monotony.

Allysen,

You make a good point here. Adult students need to know how anything they learn will apply to their goals.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I also believe that to be an effective instructor one must be passionate about the subject being taught. Adult students seem to appreciate the passion and also are intent on knowing why the subject is important and how it impacts them, both in their career choice and in their lives. Adults often integrate their career choice into how they identify themselves and the passion they see in educators can ignite the personal inner fires that they then carry into their professional life.

Mary,

Being excited about the subject matter and be excited about students is the best combination.

Jeffrey Schillinger

True that materials should be given to the students with great enthusiams so that the students would feel that they are an important aspect of the classroom and not the teacher.
In a classroom, where diversity may be an issue, I try my best to give the lecture where everybody feels that it is geared towards their individual progress and in a way that one does not feel they are being stereotyped and labeled.

Benny,

One of the keys to an effective lecture is providing a lot of "learning objects" that students of all learning styles can take with them. Another key is to build breaks into the lecture that vary between providing time for individual reflection and for group interaction. Adding these two things should appeal to most learning styles.

Jeffrey Schillinger

My classroom is not a lecture but more one on one with students and it's important to me that they share their knowledge with regard to a particular task then I'm able to respond with my knowledge and professional experience. We then have a learning experience and the student has been an important part of the conversation.

Marina,

What subjects are you teaching in this manner?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment