Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Knowing your Students

I find that the more I know about my students, the better I am able to relate to them. I sometimes find out that we have similar backgrounds and this helps me relate the material to shared experiences.

I agree with this philosophy. As an instructor I always take the first class to get to know the students. I write a variety of questions on the board, and go around the class and have them stand up and answer them individually. This is part of my ice breaking scenario. First, allows the students to get comfortable with the class. Second, it allows me to learn about each student. Third, it allows the students to find familiarities with each other, and helps them to feel more comfortable by an understanding that are not the only ones in their situation.

I also use the first class to get to know the students...additionaly I help them to get to know each other. Sometimes I let the students interview and introduce each other. Additionally, I always ask them to include their name before they answer any class discussions questions(until I can remember the entire class). By the second or third class everyone seems to be able to at least address everyone else by name.

Hi Ruston,
Good strategy for getting the class off to a good start in learning the names of students. Also the introductions help the students to feel comfortable and accepted in the class.
Gary

Since I teach computer courses, I find I struggle with getting students to know one another for a couple of reasons.

First, the course content does not lend itself to a lot of student interaction; I have all I can do to teach everything I need to teach in the time I have. Secondly, there is little, if any, opportunity for group work which would allow the students to get to know one another better.

Ideas for working in a computer course would be welcomed.

That is a great idea. I like to do the same thing. I often find that some of the students really struggle with this; they are perhaps shy or lack experience speaking in front of groups. I always question if taking the time to do this is good, but find down the road it has paid big dividends.

I would agree with you. I have been teaching for a while now and i have realized that getting to know my students more give me an opportunity to better understand of their career goals and college expectations.

I always use my sign in sheet to help me call the students name the first night of class.I walk around with my sign in sheet.Once I start to lecture I will call a student by name to answer a question. I love the students response they are suprised that I know their name and I usually get a smile or blushing, after the student and I have that kodak moment the student will answer my question.Once that happens the students become more involved in my lecture because now the students know that I know their names.

Hi Michelle,
Thank you for sharing this strategy for learning students names and getting them involved in the class. These technique is going to be valuable to other instructors.
Gary

I know that this is cliche but I really am bad with names. Does anyone have any specific suggestions as to how to remember the names of 46 students?

Hi Amy,
There are many strategies you can use but one that helps with that number of students is the use of name tents. I have class that are larger in numbers as well so I have to work very hard to remember the names of my students. The name tents really help me to do this. I give each student a 5X7 blank card. I hand out a wide variety of colored felt markers and have the students put their preferred names in large print and their last names at the bottom of the card. They can also decorate their tents if they want to with colorful designs, etc..
At the end of the first class they bring the name tents up to the front of the class and put them on my desk. I carefully watch them while they do this to connect the tent with the student. The next class period I have the name tents spread out on my desk again I watch the students while they pick up their tents. One more connection between student name and tent. I do this several class meetings and before very long I have the names down. Hope this strategy will work for you.
Gary

I really like getting to know my students on a more personal level. I feel more comfortable talking to them and relating experiences with them.

Hi Bari,
Good strategy plus one of the fun parts of teaching is the development of relationships with students. They bring to the classroom such diverse backgrounds and experiences so learning about these life experiences and working with the students in the courses make teaching exciting and rewarding.
Gary

I've used this method in large classes, in an effort to better learn the students' names:
as a student answers a question, or makes a comment, I have them give their own name before they continue. This way, it's not me guessing (and potentially remembering the wrong name).

I value to importance of getting to know my students as well. I enjoy hearing their stories as it relates to what we are learning. It helps them learn by applying their life experiences to the presented content!

Hi Diana,
Good job of listening to your students. This is so important in teaching. By getting to know your students you are developing trust, respect and rapport with them which leads to greater engagement on their part.
Gary

I use a "pretest" during the first class. This isn't as much a test as it is a way for me to learn something about each student. I give the class general feedback after I review these pretests and I thank them for their sharing information with me.

Hi Donna,
I like this approach as well. It helps to get to know the students better while easing them into the class.
Gary

I was a student a few years ago at the school I currently teaching at. I feel I have a better understanding in regards to how the students learn and feel in the classroom setting because I was in their shoes. I am pretty good with learning names. I try to keep in the loop with students and stress to them that if they need help with something to come to me. I am always accessible to them whether it be in the school or via email when I am not there. I keep the students involved as much as I can in the classes. I listen to their comments, good or bad, and work with them to make class as enjoyable and less stressful as possible.

Hi Shannon,
You have a great background to provide support to your students since you were a student and understand the student perspective in your college. Your students know you are there to assist them in their career pursuit and this is critical for earning their respect.
Gary

Sign In to comment