Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Immature leaners

I have a particularly difficult cohort of studentd to deal with at this time. They are mostly all adult learners but are acting out in class and generally acting like middle school age kids. We have gotten together as a group of instructors to try to think a ways to deal with them and are struggling to get them to even act respectfully to the instructors let alone each other. Is there anyone who can help with this out of control class?

Hi Carrie,
Not sure of all of the circumstances but I do know you have to gain control of the class immediately. Talk with your administration and see how they want to handle it since you instructors have talked about the situation and are looking for answers. As a group of instructors I would get together and develop a behavior guide sheet that is consistent in all of the classes because it sounds like they are acting this way in all their classes. Then be consistent in enforcement. Explain to the students that their behavior will not be tolerated, period. Review the student handout on expectations, requirements and policies. This is like starting the course all over again but it is obvious they have missed the behavior part the first time around. Talk with students individually and ask for their help in creating a positive learning environment. Sometimes the personal approach works.
If not of this works then dismiss students from the class that don't or won't comply. This will send a message to the other students about the need for professional conduct.
This is a tough one and I wish you success in getting control of it. Let me know how it works out for you.
Gary

Thank you so much for the advice. As it turns out we are currently implementing most of these same things. I guess great minds think a like. I hope that by using a more strict code of conduct that we can get back to the business of teaching and learning, which is why we are all here in the first place. I truley love giving my expertise to students and future co-workers. I have learned a lot in this course and I wanted to say thank you

Great advice Dr. Meers!

If this applies to your situation, break up any cliques that are occuring. Change seating once per week if possible.

From day one, implement your own seating plan to break up 'cliques'. Have the class determine the rules for behavior, you could determine the heading for the rule and they develop the rule itself. For example you may ask them to develop a rule to deal with late arrivals, etc. And finally, those who continue to disrespect the rules should be removed immediately from the class.

I have a similar situation where one of my students is very smart and his biggest problem is that he know it. He gets done early with assignments and then disrupts the other classmates. He may in the middle of class get up and say "Time for McDonalds" then leave for a little while and come back with McD's food. The problem is that he does his work and gets good grades. To other students it seams as if bad and immature behavior is getting rewarded. He can be a nuisance at time and others the only one that raises his hand. Frustrating...

Hi David,
Talk with your administration about how to handle this. I can say for sure that he would not do this in my class as he would not be meeting my requirements in terms of professional development. Also, he is disrupting the learning of others and that I will not allow, good grades or not.
I would talk with him and try to secure his cooperation and that doesn't work I would refer him to the Student Services office for them to handle as this is not acceptable behavior.
Gary

Sign In to comment