Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating Students Online

I love the concepts that were discussed in this course! My question is how do you apply these concepts in an online setting? I, of course, give grade feedback when I upload grades. But we don't have quizzes. I interact in the discussion forum but I want to reach out to them more. I send emails, but I don't want to bombard them with emails. Any suggestions on how to establish contact as a way of motivating online students?

Amanda, I teach Online classes as well and one technique that has worked for me is to schedule live phone conferences. I typically schedule three a week so there are different times to appeal to different time zones and schedules. You can also use recordings and teach students how to make their own video recordings or audio recordings. There is just something about seeing and hearing from an instructor that brings an Online class closer to a more traditional classroom experience.

James Jackson

This is a great idea....I will use that! I also think sending emails and making announcements in the classroom is a great way as well!
MaryAnn

Sign In to comment