Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adult learning

An interesting part of adult learning is the eager attitude towards hands on in the lab. They seem to be almost impatient to listen and watch a demonstration, but usually they do until the major points have been made. Now it's their turn. They prefer to use the information in the demonstration and proceed at their own pace. They would rather make a small mistake and correct it then they would for someone to intercede in the process. Use of materials is a far more studied process for the adult learner. Reading and re-reading instructions seems to be the norm, depending on the material, it's possible hazardous properties and the cost of the materials.

Hi Keith,
I have witnessed adult learners stating let me try it first before you say anything. They want to do it on their own before getting assistance.

Patricia Scales

I can agree with this. The older the students in my classes the less they like the book work. I try to break up the lecture note and demos and hands on, with smaller time frames to get them more into what is going on and what they need to succeed.

Hi Kelvin,
I have learned that most students like variety in the classroom. They want lecture, hands-on, field trips, guest speakers, simulations, mock learning, games, role playing, etc.

Patricia Scales

I really enjoy having adult learners mixed in with my students who are just out of high school, they typically are great role models.

This scenario of various options has an underside. The straight lectures are great to get the information across when time is limited. I recall reading in ED109: Preparing and Creating Lesson Plans that they equate education with sipping water from a fire hose. When the allotted class time is too short, then we do not have the luxury of using role playing or guest lecturers or field trips. These alternative methods take more time to get across the same point to the student.

I teach in the corporate financial management area. One of the courses which I teach is FINANCE & ACCOUNTING FOR NON-FINANCIAL MANAGERS which is a five day class or three hours each. I do not have time to use these more time-consuming strategies to impart the important 'take aways' for this course. Heck, I have fifteen hours in total. I wish I had 18 or 21 hours to do the entire course ... but I do not.

So my point is this: When time is constrained, then lectures is your best and most efficient method. Only when you have time to spare can you consider these other methodologies.

Hi Elizabeth,
Adult learners are awesome, and they give you the utmost respect. They really show that they are serious about their education. Adult learners fell as though time is of the essence for them.

Patricia Scales

Hi Kenneth G.,
I completely understand and agree! You have to make it work based on the time you are alloted.

Patricia Scales

I like to mix my adult learners with my just out of high school students too. They make great lab groups.The Adult learners keep the group on task so they can finish on time. The younger students are better with the academic tasks such as math calculations. Together they learn quite well.

Hi Joseph,
I love the mixture! The younger learner is also very good with technology, which is definitely a plus.

Patricia Scales

I agree with you adults mixed in with the younger one does help get them moving more and help make them more sure off what there doing. It also helps me with the lab areas because we have 30 students to one of me.

Hi Donald,
A nice mixture for a class is younger/older students. Both types can learn from each other.

Patricia Scales

I have found that adult learners are more engaged to learn hand on and ask great questions while I demonstrate ,thus having them research there questions while watching they retain more of what they see and learn.

Hi Mike,
Adult learners are very serious about their education, and they want to absorb it all. Most students love hands-on activities.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment