Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

STREAMLINING LECTURE PREPARATION

I have 4 modules that I teach. They rotate from 140, 150, 160, to 170. When it is time to do the 140 again I make sure to read the notes again and also do research on what might be new in the world out there. I always do this so I do not only keep myself current but I also make sure the students get the latest updates with regards that midule.

Also, if there is another instructor who will be able to give me more information I make sure I discuss with her whether it is the theory part or actually her sharing materials with me so I can show it to the class.

I was able to get access from the publisher of the textbook that we use in my class to a instructor website for the text. It has test banks and power point slides, I have used both and find that it saves lots of time.

Awesome to hear Scot. That's really a wonderful approach. Textbook publishers often have fantastic resources that accompany their course materials. Leveraging these resources can save us a significant amount of time.

I'm getting ready to put together my curriculum for new classes that I've never taught before. I'm a little nervous, but I'm going to rely on the text, the MCOs, and the campus library (not to mention Google!) to get all my lectures prepared prior to the start of the courses. I'm nervous, but excited, too.

I have worked hard to provide other instructors my materials and teaching approaches; both affective and effective so we can build the bench of faculty to meet the demand for teaching.

It is working.

We utilize a shared drive on the server at out school. The drive is organized by class and contains all the class material (tests; lecture notes, study guides, etc). Every instructor has access to the drive so it makes sharing information very easy.

Sounds like an organized system Christopher. Thanks for sharing! Yes, shared drives to make info sharing exceptionally easy. They also help us go easy on our email storage space because we don't have to pass large files back and forth through email.

The accounting text books that our school uses come with a CD that contains a lot to ready-made materials. Two types of material that save me preparation time are power point presentations and ready-made tests. The power point presentations are well developed and I find them very helpful as lectures aids. I also save a lot of time during test development by using some of the ready-made test question that I consider good.

Theodore, Great to hear. Yes, our textbook manufacturers often provide handy teaching materials. If your books don't come with those materials, don't be afraid to contact the publisher to check and see if they might have anything in stock. These materials are often free and can help you save so much time.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment