Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Writing Samples

I think one of the most effective ways of ensuring student success in writing and enhancing writing skills is providing students with a writing sample. A writing sample demonstrates to the student what reflects good writing and provides them with an example of the best way to achieve success in your class in particular. Every instructor has different expectations especially as it relates to writing therefore it is imperative that the instructor clearly define his or her expectations for writing assignments. A writing sample that shows the basic structure of the paper (Introduction, Body, Conclusion) and the successful formulation of a thesis in the introduction that has been proven in the body and conclusion of the paper is important. Also a sample paper would help students understand the proper format for reference citations and the reference page in order to avoid plagiarism.

Hi Jermaine,
You really put students at ease when you share a sample. Most students want to do well and really appreciate an example to go by. Students have a better understanding when examples are shared.

Patricia Scales

Hi Jermaine, I agree with Patricia, sharing is a great way to ease the anxiety of people who hate to write. Examples are some of the best learning tools.

Hi Yvonne,
Yes, students understand things better when they can see an actual visual.

Patricia Scales

I have found that most adults do well but there are some that need samples and help in writing. Many are in "hands on" classes because they are not comfortable with the writing part of traditional college courses.

Hi Lillie,
Even at the college level, I have found that a lot of adult learners are very poor writers. Some can't even form a sentence. We do all we can to strenghten their writing ability.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment