Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The discouraged student.

Students need encouragement. Especially in this day of age. They are having to deal with the constant change around them for example, our economy, unemployment at a high, world wars, religious difference. These things can impact a persons life therefore leaving them feeling scared for their futures. We need to be that positive person in their life which means constant praise. We as instructors can make a difference.

If students are comfortable with you as a teacher, they will be more engaging. You definitely need to encourage because they definitely have outside baggage that can pull them down.

I have a small white board in my room that I would use to write reminders of test days or important deadlines. One day, I wrote a saying that I had found "When something bad happens, you have three choices. You can let it define you, let it defeat you or let it strengthen you." I left it up there for a week and then started replacing it with a new saying every Monday. Soon my students (and others that walked by and could see it) started to expect it, and let me know that when they thought of giving up they could see what I wrote and it helped them. They have to know that we believe in them, even when the world around them does not.

I definitely agree with you. If the students know that instructors are there to help them learn and succeed, they do try their best.

I agree Misty - I also have one of these boards in my classroom and I even let my students write their birthdays on it and really feel like they are apart of things.

They definitely need encouragement. I had a student whose father had a stroke and a few days later passed away. He was ready to give up that even his mom's words did not help. In this experience I kind of also was in his shoes in that my father passed away while I was about to graduate from high school. I was ready to either just go get a job or go to trade school. But there were few instructors that encourage me to go to college, especially since I graduated in the top 10 in class. So, I knew what he was going through. I told him about my similiar situation and that he can do the work and not to give up. I told him I was sure quiting would not have been something his father would have wanted him to do. It’s OK to cry and miss those that we love but we also must be strong for those still with us especially our immediate family. I told him that he would have time to make up the work as long as there is time. I am happy to say that he did not quit and pass the course with a grade of a B. Even wrote me a nice email thanking me for the encouragement and the opportunity to do the work. Sometime they also need someone that will just listen as well and let there frustration out.

All students need encouragement. Even if they are an over achiever student they all need to know you're paying attention and caring about there success.

I was one of the "Ready to quit students". I went to a school of nursing (RN Diploma program) at the age of 18 years old. I started out really good getting good grades and great clinical scores. I had an Instructor the 2nd semester of school who targeted students I thought she didn't care for. She was so mean an insulting to me, one day she said to me, "you should drop out of the program you will never be successful as a RN". I wanted to quit the program but I had a lot of encouragment from my fellow students and my parents and sutck with it. In my very last semester before graduating I had the same Instructor. She was surprised I was still in the program and she told me her attempt was to motivate me to learn as much as possible, not to motivate me to end my learning as a RN. So I would like to share my story as a motivating fact while motivating my students because 30 years later I am a successful oncology RN with a MSN Degree.

That is true. As a student myself I have had some times where I felt discouraged about completing my program. Instructors should be more encouraging so that the student can succeed

I notice the discouraged student right away in week two of my training course, usually which is the first test. I help them find ways to study such as using flashcards to carry with them at all times. I also like to share my experience while growing up, how I wasn't expected to be the brightest. I like to encourage them, because as I grew older that all I needed. The discouraged student usually needs encouragement and constant praise. I see a light of joy come on in them when I also have the class clap for them when the do great things. I have all of my students every five weeks stand up, hug themselves, and tell themselves what a great job they've done. I realized in my life when no one was there to see what they expected of me, wasn't my outcome...I simply had to believe in myself.

Sign In to comment