Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reducing instructor anxiety

What are some ways to overcome pre-class nerves and anxiety?

I like to come in early or at the begining of the class talk about off subject discussions. It seems to relax the students.

Getting to know the students, their goals for the class, their career goals and having discussions with the students throughout the class to make sure I am meeting their expectations with what is covered in the classes are a few things that have been the most beneficial.

I try to reduce instructor anxiety by being as prepared as i can possibly be.

I reduce anxiety, by carefully examing the cause my anxiety.It is important to me to determine whether they are an indiction of something that needs to be addressed or just jeters to overcome.
Is it becuse I feel I'm unprepared coming to clss?
Then, I go over my lesson plans and course materials until I feel comfortable.
Do I feel I'm losing control over my class?
Then, I will study class management and/or talk to other instructors about the sitution and exacute a plan to take back control.
Do I feel out of touch of the current practices and techniques in my field?
I will then talk to experts and people currently working in the field about thye current theories nd practices.
Is it just having the jeterss?
Then, I assure myself that I have done everything possible and that this is just a normal state of mind.
Knowing what is aan indication that something needs to be done or just a case of the jiters?
That is the art of teaching nd knowing myself.

I would suggest that whatever your planned initial encounter with the students be rehearsed at your convenience over & over until you almost have a "script " of your words, movements,appearance, etc. Take into consideration class size,sex makeup,age bracket,etc.ALso have different 'break' stories or info. (keeps you occupied if jitters arise)...

I come to class with a fresh piece of research or news that I'm excited to share. It always leads into a good class.

Hi Jodie,
Students love it when we have current events to share. This is a great leeway into the lesson as well.

Patricia Scales

I like to have the handout material prepared in a packet so that everything is in order for the students. I also try to arrive at least 20 minutes early so I can set up the laptop, projector and speakers. In addition I always write on the board the objectives of the lecture, and when completed a line item cross it off the list, so the student’s can see that it has been completed.

Prepare more than enough material for the time allotted - that way, if you end up getting through things more quickly than you expected, you still have more material you can put to use.

practic, practic, practic. Breathe deep and focus on the message I want to put out for the students. Involve the students and have them interact with one another.

Hi Gregg,
It sounds like you are always well prepared for class. Preparation is the key to success!

Patricia Scales

Hi Donna,
You are on point! It is always best to have too much than to not have enough!

Patricia Scales

Hi Christina,
Preparation is a must! Students love a prepared instructor!

Patricia Scales

Students realy do like it when we have current events to share.that pretaining to course it motive them

My fist quarter I tried very hard to "over-prepare" - one problem I ran into was being so prepared that when something unexpected happened, it threw me off balance and I had difficulties recovering - which made me un-easy and nervous, which in turn was visible to the students.

Therefore, I tried a new path that really seemed to work well for me.

1. KNOW THE SUBJECT
2. PREPARE AN OUTLINE FOR THE CLASS (hour by hour)
3. LIST OBJECTIVES ON THE BOARD - CHECK OFF WHEN COMPLETED
4. RECAP THE CLASS EACH DAY

I then typically spend the first few minutes before class speaking with the students one-on-one, asking them about their lives, e.g.: "...so last week you mentioned you were moving, did that go well?".

It serves a couple of purposes - it helps me learn the student's names, also helps both of us relax a little.

The trick is I file their experiences in my short-term memory, and then try to figure a way to during a lecture or class presentation if there is an opportunity to work that into my class.

I'm gaining confidence in my new "style" that includes a little improve - which makes for a very interesting and exciting classroom experience for everyone.

Hi Christopher,
I can tell you take your profession seriously! Preparation is key! It sounds like your new system is working well. Continue to use and tweak along the way if it is a need.

Patricia Scales

I reduce anxiety by thinking of ways to constantly improve. I understand that my efforts will sometimes fail, but my desire for excellence will push me forward, to the point of self-confidence and reduced anxiety.

Since this is my first teaching job I had a lot of anxiety to start with. I basically overplanned for my first few classes, which turned out to be very helpful. As I was trying to get comfortable with my pacing of the material I didn't have to worry about running out of things to talk about if I accidentally went too fast. It all ended up working out in the end but I was so nervous at first!

I like to give "fun facts" pertaining to what im going to be discussing..then give the class about 10 min to talk about it if they like! Seems to get everyones attention and its nice to hear what they think!

Sign In to comment