Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Styles of classroom management

It would be nice if I can say that I am a perfect Guide. But I tend to be a Controller because I am a perfectionist. I am highly motivated, well-organized, wants to do a good job, and has a high expectation from my students.

I love to be a Guide. I love the subjects that I teach. I do extra effort to make the class alive - using a lot of props as much as possible. Using a lot of examples when coding. I want an active class and not a passive one.

I present rules and policies that I am expecting students to comply with on the first day of class. I do seating assignments to ensure students get to interact with each other - specially the quiet ones. I seat them so I can see each one of them.

I also make sure that I call their names so they will know that I am aware that they I care about their learning skills.

I monitor their activities and grades and make sure that my Director the progress of each student.

Marlo, sounds like you are very well organized and you have a direction you want to take which is the majority of the battle towards enhancing your classroom management. The real trick is to switch things up and track your progress. Evaluate what works best and then work towards perfecting the things that work and be willing to eliminate the things that are not producing results.

Regards,

James Jackson

I stick with a simple rule in my classroom. "Never do anything to lessen the experience of this class for yourself or anyone else in the room including the instructor. "
I then treat everyone like adults and tell them I will trust them until they give me a reason not to rust them. I find this works with 90% of the students. I do not ask them to meet my standards, but rather to follow their own and have the moral compass to stick with those values. Then I am not setting a bar of perfection- they are- and most of my students feel empowered.

I too am a combination of Controller and Guide- a major perfectionist! I try extra hard to not allow these traits to run together in a negative way, which would not be good for my students.

In regard to their names, I try to remember both their first and last names, but address my students by their last names, as they are required to do of me.

I completely agree with you!Even when my adult age college stdents act like high school, I show them the respect they deserve and need to be succesful in my class.

I would love to say that I'm the perfect teacher but I have to omit, I'm not. Have noticed that you have to be flexible with your students, find out what style works best with the students, usually always a combination of controller and guide.

Eloise, great technique. Another way to help your students focus is to use the analogy of a real work environment. Treat your classroom like a place of business. If an employer would not tolerate the behavior, why should you in your classroom? Some differences will apply but for the most part, this technique really resonates with most adult students.

James Jackson

Bj, addressing your students the way you want to be addressed is a great policy. Give respect to get respect!

James Jackson

Ken, a guide can still take control so do not feel you have to be one or the other. The focus here is about being fair but firm and always being professional. Measure your teaching success by the number of students that go on to graduate and get good jobs that allow them to take care of themselves and their families. The focus on how many students like you personally is not a factor that will help them achieve their academic goals and landing a great job. Guide them to their ultimate goals and they will love you for that.

James Jackson

Jim,
I can't agree with you more. I have noticed in the last two-three years how many of my former students still contact me for information along with job references when they are appling for employment. I have always taught them that once one of my students, always one of my students. It is nice that alot of them know that.

Your style is much like mine. When I started out many many years ago, I was more of a controller. Through the years I softened and became more of a Guide. It's important to get to know your students in order to understand and help them do better. My goal is to inspire them to learn throughout life. To guide them allows for more creativity and thinking on their part.

Does anyone find that with the skill/ education level of the students, your classroom management style needs to change? Whereas it is probably not appropriate for the "apathete" style in most adult education settings, the level of students that are in your class determines how the class is run.

Sign In to comment