Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The value of synchronous teaching

I cannot stress enough just how valuable synchronous teaching is. I have been teaching online for almost 9 years now for several institutions, and only one uses synchronous components. While they are all good schools, the one with synchronous chat/lecture time is the one that students seem to stay most connected to from an undergrad perspective. Grad students tend to stay on target regardless, but undgrad students gain more value and stay enrolled more with this functionality in place.

Morissa

Interesting. Do you record your synchronous chats? Do you require it?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree with you Morissa! Students that attend the weekly webex tend to do very well in class.

I think they fell more connected to the instructor and their classmates in a synchronous chat/lecture.

Jeanette,

Do students get participation grades for the chats? How do you account for time differences of students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Morissa,

In theory, I can definitely see the value in synchronous teaching opportunities in the online classroom. As with your teaching experience, I have been teaching online for 11 years this is my first experience utilizing the Live Chat sessions. I have to admit I am disappointed with the number of students attending the session and am wondering how you encourage students to join in?

Jean Morrison

Jean,

I understand your frustration. Nontraditional students will attend but traditional students usually won't. I find that if I want students to show up I have to make it "valuable". I may have information needed for extra points. I may require it as participation points, or some other value. This will move them.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello, Morissa.

While I do not have the extent of your experiences, I have come to some similar conclusions. I am curious, however, if any of the asynchronous chat schools at which you have worked have an accountability system in place for students. That is, are you able to determine if students have viewed a recorded chat or not? If not, are you able to deduct participation points?

The reason I ask is that I have worked with many undergraduate students who do well in an asynchronous environment as long as they actually complete the assigned reading and view the chat recordings. Most of the students who are struggling in my courses provide evidence that they never viewed the recordings (or simply did not pay attention). Of course, I do agree that live attendance is ideal, but ensuring that students view the material could be almost as useful.

~Michael

Michael,

I don't have institutional requirements but incorporate items like this in my participation points. I also track the students watching my videos and other multimedia elements through my LMS and use that information for participation. This is so important.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I find this to be absolutely true as well. But synchronos components can also alienate some students. I've found through the years that a blended approach that includes room for asynchronous components and synchronos components (like recorded live chats or office hours)are highly beneficial for everyone in the class regardless of learning style.

Garry,
That is a great strategy. Don't you think it also eases your workload?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have also found that students stay more connected with synchronous learning. Given their job/school conflicts, they do appreciate the opportunities offered by asynchronous: anytime, anywhere.

John,

The one great benefit in online learning is that you can provide both environments. You can provide students that individualized learning they need.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment