Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Soft v. Hard

One thing I noticed about one's instructional style is that culture is often important. While teaching in the public secondary system in the US, I noticed that it's usually more effective to be stern with students at first, and then permit flexibility later. In other cultures, for example when I taught in Asia, it was the opposite: it paid off more to be very warm and open with students at first and then be strict later in the school year.

I think it is important to note this important cultural difference in terms of instructional approaches.

Hi Jesse,
You make a very good point about how to approach the classroom. You do need to understand the make up of your class and how to set the tone for learning. Instructors need to make adjustments as needed and then they will be able to meet the needs of that group of students for that course.
Gary

Culture does play an important role in the classroom setting. I have noticed that when you are stern and set the ground rules for the class students will respect that. If you allow them to come to class with the attitude that certain behaviors were allowed in other classes they have a tendency to never correct their inappropriate behaviors. I've had classes where I have set the ground rule for being on time to class is a must. I 've had students tell me about other students that are always late to class and it was accepted. I have the policy that you must be on time if you are going to be a professional, and respected. If students are late there must obtain what they missed from others in class or make arrangements after class to get what they missed, so as not to hold the rest of the class back by having the instructor back track in instruction for late comers. I have discussed the late behavior with the individual students and let them know how it will hinder them in their professional growth, and that has worked in getting them to class on time.

Hi Aaisha,
I agree with you about having a clear and firm set of polices for the course. I have the same policy as do you about being on time. I enforce the policy and it really works well for both the students and myself. Also, when they tell me other instructors let them get away with being tardy I calmly explain that how they run their classes is their business but in this class this is how we are going to operate. They respect my stance and follow it.
Gary

I strongly agree that culture is important. I have taught in Latin countries as well as here in the US. From my point of view, we should not stereotype; however, there is a reality that in the majority of Latin countries they are almost never on time; they are almost always less punctual than Americans. I have noticed, that in case of Latin students we need to make them to read the classroom policies and be strict since the very beginning to break the pattern of not to be punctual.

Jennie,
Good point about maintaining the standards of the course in relation to the performance of the students. Even with the cultural differences or backgrounds the students are going to need to learn to be on time and skilled at what they do if they want to be successful in their careers. So we need to keep that goal in mind as we deliver instruction and manage our classrooms/labs.
Gary

Sign In to comment