Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing as an Instructor

I find that it is important to continue developing your technical skills as an instructor. After I completed graduate school, I realized that building on my expertise in my field of study was necessary but not sufficient. I would not have been able to make a living as a college instructor had I not taken courses on Blackboard/ WebCt and Angel. This allowed me to find employment in one of the fastest areas of growth - online education. Although I majored in the Social Sciences, these technical skills allowed me to remain in my field of study. Ricardo Richards

I have been in my profession for 35 years+ and I recently changed types of professions, these courses have been very valuable to me in my new teaching position.

RICARDO,
Thank you for sharing your professional development experience with us. Your experience demonstrates the value of continuing your education throughout your professional career if you are going to remain current as well as employable.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Michael,
Great to hear and I wish you much success in your new effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I am not a new instructor. These courses and post discussion helping me improving my instructional styles.Developing the technicals skills

Sultana,
The more we share our knowledge and expertise as educators the more information we have about how to be even more effective and efficient as instructors. This needs to always be a part of our professional development no matter how long we have taught.
You make a good point about such in your comments.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I find that as a clinical instructor it is challenging to teach clinicals as each of the students level of confidence and skills vary. Once they are on the floor you have to consider each individuals strength and work with them individually to build their confidence. I try to encourage all my students but some still struggle with communicating with their patients. How can I make them feel more comfortable or will this come in time. Thank you.

Cathy,
Time will help the most just as you say. As you are working with your students and helping them get settled into the clinical part of their training do some role playing with them to help them develop ways of interacting with patients. For many of them this is the first time they have been in an "authority" role of providing assistance so they aren't sure how to react to patient behavior or conversation. If you do some case studies where they role play they can start to see how they can respond and will get more comfortable with their role of care provider.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment