Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

'Thereis always someone smarter than you in the room'

I was a bit stunned that the paraphrase in subject line was mentioned in the video. I always operate under that assumption, but when I have mentioned it to other instructors, usually I get just a confused look.

This statement is so true! Days when I learn from one of my students or another instructor...are days that I am glad that I got up. I wish that every instructor would realize this because when s/he does not, typically, it seems like that person wants to be in complete control or have all of the power. I do not believe that students learn best in that environment- they need to be empowered. When one of them is smarter than me regarding a point- I make sure that they know I appreciate it. If another instructor helps me better my teaching skills or strategies, I am grateful to him or her as well. I want to be the best that I can be and it doesn't matter who helps me get there- but it is an evolving process!

Patricia,
This is such a refreshing and humble way to approach the classroom. One of the benefits of being an instructor is that we get to meet and work with some very bright individuals. Learning from them can be a joy. In return hopefully we can share some of our knowledge and expertise and expand their knowledge base leading them to a rewarding career.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Thank you, Dr. Meers. I believe sharing our knowledge is the easy part. In order to really get to know my students and adjust lesson plans- I've learned some interesting tidbits from adult learners. For example: I wouldn't have guessed that they actually would have liked acting out roles related to learning concepts, yet 95% of my students enjoy the task (as long as they can read the material, interpret it, write the "script", and present it to the rest of the class). I just started doing this during in my Career Development classes, and I have not only learned students gain a deeper understanding of the concepts- but many of the students acted out real-world incidences that they experienced. I believe that understanding the differences between my students' lives and my own, provides insight into my evolving lesson presentations.

Patricia,
Great to hear of the success you are having with your instructional techniques. Keep up the good work and continue to impact the lives of your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Not only is there always someone smarter, but I don't always know who it is, and even if they aren't smarter (and I anticipate a module or something on different kinds of smart) they might still know something new.

I used to be intimidated by this - what if I didn't know the right/answer/reply to some students questions or comments? Now I actually enjoy it and like how it opens up dialogue with my students and we all end up learning. There are times when I have to just state " I don't know" and just move on as it isn't relevant to the topic. However, that is the exception. Using ths time to help students reaseach a question so we all learn, and holding them to this learning is beneficial for all involved.

Jeremy,
This is the sign of a veteran instructor. Yes, many of our students going through our classes are smarter than us but they do not have the experience nor field knowledge that we have. By combining their intelligence with the information we share with them we have done a good job of providing them a targeted education within the confines of our course. The format you use in getting the answers to questions that are challenging is a good one because it gets everyone involved in researching the answer.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I find this to be quite true as well! I have experienced this a few times and enjoy the fact that there are students that can enlighten me with their knowledge!!

MorningStar,
At times having someone that is smarter in the room can be a very good thing as you mention. You get a different perspective and everyone benefits from the sharing. The key is to be the learning leader for the class and facilitate individual student growth.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This quote reminded me of the one that I have hanging up in my office: "It isn't how smart you are, but how you are smart".

Patricia,
Good quote and one we need to remember as we work with our students. The key for us is the "how you are smart" part of being the learning leader.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It is refreshing to have someone finally say
what we know is true all along. Some days I
learn as much from my students as they learn from me.While they may lack experience in a particular
subject they have other experiences that may be just as relevant and it is always enjoyable to have this interaction in the classroom dynamic!

Anthony,
Yes it is a joy to have such interaction with students. This is one of the major rewards of being an instructor. We get access to a wide range of student experiences while sharing our knowledge with them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have to truthfully admit that I was a bit taken aback and maybe even a little embarrassed when I was "shown up" as my class lovingly put it, by what I considered to be a young girl entering my field. I was a 22 year veteran in my career, and when she knew just a little more than I did, it surprised me to say the least. It definitely let me know that I needed to brush up on my techniques, styles and products used. Lesson learned!

Lynn,
Thank you for sharing this story with us. This is one of the challenges of being a teacher. The key is how we respond to it. It sounds like you have the confidence to move forward and acquire the needed knowledge while expanding your expertise. This is what being an educator is all about.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I'm teaching art history. It's my first lecture class, as I've always taught studio art. I have a lot of technical expertise, and, with very rare exception, am just about always the clear expert int he room. It's generally true in this art history class I have now as well. Except for this one student. He's clearly someone who has read a lot and likes documentaries. We just got though with Late Gothic and The Italian Renaissance-- and it was a chore. The guy didn't know much about the how's and why's of late gothic architecture or Renaissance humanistic ideas, but he could tell the class every Trivial Pursuit worthy instance of bizarre death or cultish liturgical practice of sub-group X. I tried hard to work him and his peripheral factoids into the discussion as much as possible but it isn't always easy. Sometimes he was just wrong and it all I could do to ask that we save his introduced topic for the break. Every once in a while, though, he'd provide a great segue into the next area of the lecture. It's a mixed bag. He clearly has an interest and knows a lot about...something. And sometimes he *does* drop some knowledge on everyone. Keeping him from derailing the discussion has been a real problem, though.

Christopher,
I think all of us has had such a student. While at times we can welcome input from such a student as you say it is a challenge to keep him from derailing the class. Sounds like you have started to get a handle on how to manage his input. The key is to let him contribute but only in a way that expands the information rather than distracts from the topic. What I have done with such students in the past is to ask them to do a special project for me where they can demonstrate their knowledge and in return I ask that they let me deliver my content. I have times let such a student do a mini-presentation over a topic so they get to "show off" their knowledge but for only a few minutes (3-5 minutes) then we move on.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I teach graduate students who are all career changers. Most are smarter than me. This allows me to deal with instruction a little differently than in my undergrad teaching days. Unlike then, I have much more in common with my students since we all are/have been working professionals. This makes communication easier, but it also means I have to leave more time for questions and to listen to them. They can parse and digest the information I am giving them pretty quickly and come back with questions quickly. It is not unusual for another student to jump in and respond to the other students question with a very constructive reply, and then a discussion among the whole class often begins. I have learned to try and set up these situations and to allow time for them. They are some of the most productive and useful moments in the class.

Richard,
I really like teaching courses at this level because of just want you mention, in-depth discussions and wide ranging covering to topics. Sounds like you have a lot of fun when teaching this course and leading sessions that enhance both the knowledge of your students as well as yourself.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment