Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First day views from students

I have asked students at the end of the second day of what they thought about the first day of class. I was surprised when a few of the students said that most Instructors come on "like the all mighty masters" and the students need to do what they say or else. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same feed back from their students and what did they think about this statement?

I think that being understanding and sharing with the students our mistakes and how we learned from them helps them see that we are just as human as they are.

I have had the same thing happen to me.

i usually dont have a response like that

I have been told that they get the impression I am hard to approach. At the end of the course the same students have approached me and stated they appreciated the strictness at first start.

Hi Charles,
Students feeling that the instructors come on too strong is hard to pin down since every situation is different. Some instructors come on too strong because they are unsure of themselves and they want to create a big space between themselves and students, others feel they have the right to set themselves apart from all others. Either way these instructors are going to have some class management issues to deal with.
A good instructor will set a professional tone to the class and set forth the expectations and operating policies. By doing this the students will know what they must do and what is going to happen during the course phase. This approach will also help developing respect by both the instructor and the students for each other.
Gary

The classes I generally teach all have prerequisites and most of the students have seen a variety of different teaching styles, some instructors are more lenient than others. This can make it very difficult but yet keeps you on your toes. I tell the students on the first day that we can have fun and learn in a professional manor at the same time. I hold each and every class to the same set of standards and usually don’t have any problems after the clarification of the first day.

After the introductory phase of both instructor and students, I can sense immediately that the class will be dynamic, enjoyable and a "forum" for a great learning experience for the students. The students' body language, eye contact exhibit the interest and attention that will be in class for the whole quarter/semester.

Hi Clarita,
Thank you for the comments about "reading" a class. As each group of students is different the instructor has to be looking for feedback from students in terms of how to approach and conduct the class.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

Hi Brian, your comment about some instructors being more lenient really hit home. This can be a real problem with some students. The will come at you with, "but Mr/Ms let me do it", you need to let them know that you will not tolerate their behavior.

I agree. I always try to let the students know what I expect from them and also try to get a feel for what they expect from me. From that point on being consistent for the remainder of the class keeps problems to a minimum.

Sign In to comment