Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Why are some instructors very good at lecturing?

Like many great leaders, public speakers to peace makers currently and before us, they all share something in common - their great ability to influence people with the message that they convey to the audience.

I take a great deal in modeling my lector after them. Each course, I will continue to find new ways and approach to inspire my students & get my points across. I use many tectics style of lectures from a style of base my lecture around a single subject or question, begins certain topic with “What would happen if……?” approach to a case study discussion.

Certain, I believe if there is rapport between me and my students, they will be a connection with the content I am sharing and more likely that the chance of their retention will be higher. They will be focused on what I am trying to share with them because they know I am considering this information important.

K. Boodparset

I think some instructors are very good at lecturing because they use the same methods over and over again. Also, by building a rapport with students, you are more likely to keep their attention when you are delivering content.

i think for some its natural to convey information to groups. if you're not a natural, practice and taking opportunities to engage yourself as the "lecturer". i.e. join a book club and lead the discussion.

Hi Demetra,
Good advice on how to develop your ability as a communicator. Teaching is communication so we need refine and develop those skills as best we can. Your suggestions are good ones because they provide opportunities to be a more effective communicator while engaging in discussions of personal interest, i.e. book club.
Gary

Demetra:

I think it boils down to a combination of natural ability and effort at improving on those abilities. Some people are just able to command a room and communicate effectively.

I learned how to do it in college when being president of a campus organization. I got over my fear of public speaking and thus was able to relax and be naturally funny, self-deprecating, and passionate.

I think of instructors I had in college, and there were some in whose lectures I could not fall asleep if I wanted to. Then there were some whose lectures fit into my allotted 5 hours of sleep per day...

I hope I will continue to improve. If one is an engaging lecturer, it makes supplementing lectures with other delivery methods so much easier.

Sign In to comment