Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Art of Questioning

Questioning is basic to good communications.

Questioning is not only good for communicating, it also provides you with a goog grip and feedback on the student response in the learning process.Once the interaction starts between the Instructor and the student, you as Instructor through the art of questioning; passes and share knowledge.

I try to ask questions througout my lecture time, and try to apply "Real Life" experiences so the learner can relate, and make assimilations. I believe that this is particularly helpful with students who have minimal work experience,and can then get a better understanding how their managers, and superiors arrive at specific decisions, and problem solving.

Brian I agree using real life experiences for our culinary students is one of the most important things.

I review for the final in my class by using questions. I feel that they retain alot more if they are the ones that come up with the answers instead of me giving them the facts

I think that sometimes I have learned more about the subject that I am teaching because of the questions that the students have asked. I then try to use that information the very next time I teach that subject again.

In addition to questioning being apart of good communications, questioning engages the students and motivates them to learn. The learning shifts from passive learning, like what many students exerience in high school, to active learning by applying thoughts and ideas that emphasise the material and strengthens the meaning of the material. This also helps the less active students to join in discussions and possibly create study groups so that they feel like they are part of the class. I use questioning as a feeler for class involement and subject understanding. If a student feels that he/she is never going to be called on the information that is being discussed then he/she may be less inclined to pay attention. I have found that by useing questioning my test scores have increased dramicly, my lab papers have more meaningful responses, and my lectures seem alot less boring.

Questions are great and how questions are phased is even better. I find that If I phase my answers or explanations in 2 ways I will reach more students.

Using real life experiences helps to keep that student engaged

Questioning at the end or during the lecture is a form of a challenge to students, a way of making the class alive and participative and a great means to show that a teacher is truly competent and knowledgeable of whatever topic is being discussed. This without doubt is also a great motivator of students to come to class everday.

I totally agree with what you said. I love it when the class starts flowing with questions. It does show me where they are in the learning process. It also reminds me of more inforamtion that I can give them. I feel with them asking all these questions they have a better chance of being prepared out in the working environment. I even tell them to ask as many questions as they would like because it will help me to teach them some extra stuff that is useful. When I have classes that love to ask questions, I've noticed that they all have a better bond together. When I walk into class, they're all sharing to each other about what they learned and are going through.

Susan - You have submitted some very good and thoughtful posts in the forums for this class. It is clear you love teaching! Best wishes for continued success.

Very good assessment, Marcelo. I totally agree. Through questioning we, as teachers, can learn whether or not we need to re-teach a topic.

Questioning is also basic to the acquisition of knowledge. Once my students begin asking questions, they tend to want more answers about job specifics. They are interested in hearing real life scenarios in which problems are described and solutions are worked out. More questions lead to more questions and more questions lead to more learning. The best way to find out how to do something is to ask.

Sign In to comment