Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom movement

I believe classroom movement is important to maintain control of the room and also to keep the students more ingaged. If I move around the class I can see students from differetn angles and will notice if one of them is being distracted with there personal electronics. It also gives the class a bit more action as floating around the room causes the students to move around in order to watch the lecture.

I agree. My institution has a no cell phone policy in the classroom. Students are very creative in hiding the phones and will be using them during your lecture if you are not careful. When you lecture in a stationary position, you are less likely to have that control and be able to monitor your class. Also, I think the students will be less likely to nod off if they are tired.

Most definitely! It is imperative to move throughout the room as a habit to engage everyone. Moreover, this also deters students from cheating on quizzes and tests...because they assume the instructor will always be engaged.

Hello Brian, I totally agree with your insights.
I believe that creating a habit of roaming the classroom constantly, not only keeps the students on task but also let's them know that you care and are interested in their education, not to mention it keeps plagiarism extint.

Jose,
You make a valid point. Roaming throughout the classroom is key in creating a successful classroom environment. It does help keep students on task instead of working on other things or trying to sneak a text in. It also keeps students more engaged in the topic being discussed. The instructor creates a more interactive environment with the students this way.
Afrodite Tsiakopoulos

The accomplishment of an interactive environent is much facilitated by this movement. Whereas laboratory classes tend to dictate this, I set an established schedule to spend time with teams and individuals throughout the weekly course time; informality and openness is usually forthcoming as a result.

Movement and interaction is critical in design studio orientated classes. I find sitting with each of my students and studying their work with them really makes give them a sense of accomplishment and a desire to develop their projects more successfully as we are working together as a TEAM.

Sign In to comment