Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Theory into practice

My experience is that the older student has more motivation and can adapt to various learning strategies with relative ease. The younger students seem to believe that learning will occur with very little investment on their part.

Nancy,
This has been my experience as well. I put my students into small groups that are composed of both younger and older students. The activities I assign them forces them to work together and they slowly start to develop an appreciation for what each individual can contribute to the common goal.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Yes, I agree older students have more motivation and yet in one of the "Thinking Break" questions the fact that they are more motivated was not as important as to their brains being more physically mature. I think it is just as important. In our school, we have students aged 18-45. I recently have two 19 year olds who are highly motivated and are performing better than some of the older students.

Helen,
Good point and one that needs to be considered as instructors work with different student age groups.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have experienced that what ever the age group the past experience of students must be taken into consideration and also their learning styles.

IDA,
This is a very good point. I try to use the life experiences of my older students so they can see that they are respected and valued. This builds their confidence because many of them don't believe they can be successful in college after being out of school so long.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I can't agree that the older students are more motivated than younger students. I have found thay they are both equally motivated to learn the material, they just have different motivations. However, I do agree that the older students can adapt to various learning strategies easier that the younger students, but given a little extra time the younger students will grasp the material as well as the older student.

I am not sure I would use the word "motivated." But my older students do have a more realistic vision of the world, and the fact that their education really needs to lead to a job or promotion.
I tell all my students that from K until college, all you have to do to get promoted is sit down, shut up, and do what the teacher says. Then suddenly, after a BS or advanced degree, you have to figure out what to do with the degree all on your own. Many students start that transition from Theory into Practice too late.
So I recommend that they ask this question of every class: "How could I turn what I am learning today into an advantage for my employer?"

David,
Like your last sentence a lot. Students need to ask this question and answer it for themselves over and over because that is the reason they are back in school. They are advancing their careers and expanding their options through school. This is why they need focus on doing their best and being successful in their coursework. I am amazed at the fact that I have to give a speech on the first day of each new course about being on time and attending each class. They have chosen to be in school and are paying a lot of money for the courses they are taking. Many of them don't get it in terms of the opportunity they have to be in college and working on their future.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree, but I have been putting more and more effort into explaining to, and making aware, the younger students of the actual work that needs to go into, along with their natural abilities and talents in close tandem, the learning that they are looking to acquire. This seems to give them the same, on average, if not more "ambition" than the older and more experienced students. They seem to lock into their training more, and really go for it, once they know that they possess the ability to get it done and get it done right.

John,
Good way to challenge, support and encourage this group of students. They need to internalize that they in fact can be successful if they will put forth the effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Often we focus only on the practice of the knowldege and not the "why" behind it. In military training often the theory is ommitted. I think that the how and why support each other in teaching older adults.

Douglas,
You make a good point about the "why" of learning. We need to focus on this because by doing so we will be able to demonstrate to our students the ROI that is in it for them if they are willing to put forth the effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sometimes in my class not the older students are better, but those who had some music training before. They are more motivated and can help others.

I like it! It is a very different learning approach within the school system and within an employment system. Older students often seem more equipped because of their experience in both.

Collin,
The more relevance and application we can put into our instruction the better. This is how the content comes alive for the students and they see value in what we are teaching.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Although age plays an important role, the motivation for being in school plays a major role. Is this a first time studying for the work force or a career change or a life situation change?

Russell,
This is important to know as it helps to determine how you will approach your students and engage them in discussions. A first time career entrant is different in perspective than a career changer.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree, older students seem to learn quicker than the younger students, I believe that past experiences plays a huge role.They are using past experiences to relate to what they are learning now.

Rose,
They have seen and experienced so much more and as a result they can pull up those experiences and apply them to the current class situation. This is why I put my older and younger students together in work groups so they can benefit from the experiences each of them have as well as develop respect for each brings to the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment