Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Different Learning tools

Being that my classes are fairly large and time is fairly limited, I incorporate several different tools for memorization and learning in my lessons. For the lectures, I use an outline with fill in the blank slots. That way students are engaged and participating in order to complete their outline. I also use many real life examples to show them how information can be applied outside of the classroom. Prior to exams, I also develop flashcards. Lastly we also do review games similar to Jeopardy. This way, there's a tool for everyone.

Stephania,
You are using many of the strategies I use with my students. Each one of these strategies builds on the different learning preferences of the students and enables them to acquire the needed content as well as preparing them for the assessments.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Tools like reading ability, math comprehension, critical thinking and problem solving skills make a great difference between students in the technical schools. Some of them need more prerequisites.

Jean Claude M,
It seems that many of our students are coming into school without some of the prerequisites needed to work in the areas you list. In our program we try to offer them examples and strategies to strengthen these areas early in their program. The result is two fold. One, some students get these areas shored up and are able to move on into their program. Two, other students realize they need some additional background in these areas and they take remedial courses to get them ready. Either way they have success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I teach in a career collefge. I have multiple ages,educational backgrounds which makes it essential to determine the correct learning tools.

Mary,
Yes it does. Sounds like the student body we have. The fun part is figuring our how to meet the different learning needs of the different ages and types of students that are enrolled. Always a great feeling when you know you have nailed it for that class session.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Having a diverse student body in class not only challenges your ability to teach but also allows you to see the various methods of learning that the students have developed either in the classroom or through their experience in the workplace.

Anne,
Yes it does. For me this is one of the enjoyable parts of teaching. I get to work with a diverse group of individuals that have a common goal and that is to be successful in the course. Together as a learning community we can achieve that goal if everyone is willing to put forth the needed effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I also play jeopardy as a way students help retain the information, I also have a deck of cards with questions and answers on them and the students pick cards ask questions to fellow students then if the student answers correctly then that student pulls a card and has the option to ask any student a question.

Randy,
I like to use games in my classes as well. My students really like to play them when we review for a quiz. They get competitive very quickly wanting to win prizes (pieces of candy)and being a part of the winning team. Fun time but a a great learning opportunity.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I really have to agree with this. I have a wide age range in my classroom and I think this can be really helpful when you can use life experience and course content to make an impression that students can really relate to.

I found group study can help as long as the groups dont get to large.

Jeff,
You make a good point in relation to group size. I have found that 3-4 members is ideal, with larger classes the number can go to 6. With these numbers everyone can have a part in the discussions and be a part of the problem solving effort if case studies are used.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I follow this process as well in groups of 4 max. by doint this i find the students are more engaged in the topics we're discussing.

I also use different tools to facilitate memory and learning such as reviewing the homework in class, we do a review game similar to Family Feud, and I try to relate our topic to something going on in current events.

I teach at a career college as well and these students want to know everything "right now" but they do not remember the key points unless I specifically outline them. My night class seems to be more mature and on task.

Sonja,
Good activities to use as they help students to focus on the content they need to remember and make it a part of their working memory.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sonja,
My night class is composed of individuals that are real goal oriented and are working hard to improve their skills and knowledge. They have a much higher retention rate of the material because they see the value of it based upon their life experiences.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree & some times you are forced to use may strategies in ine lecture to insure geting through to all of them

Danny,
Yes, this such an important part of the instructional delivery process in order to keep students engaged.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment