Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How To Retain That Important Information

I try to help my kids by feedback in the classroom. Even when we are in lab I am questioning them about the instruments they are using and what they are for. Keeping that constant thought going on is a wonderful thing and it is fun like a game. Being bored is the worst so you must be creative and share your knowledge.
P O'Dwyer

Pamela,
You make a number of very good points on how to keep students engaged in the learning process for the duration of the course. This is always a challenge but one that is fun to work through because the results are focused students that have learned a lot.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Pamela,
I am on the same track. I find that if I circulate in the lab and ask questions of each individual or group as they perform an exercise it has much more effect than review in the classroom. They nearly always assume that they are doing something wrong. It may be cruel, but that little bit of anxiety-produced adrenaline really makes the brain so much more receptive. When they successfully justify their technique they swell with pride and confidence. If they are not immediately successful, I take the time to lead them to the correct solution so they can still "end on a high note" even though aware they need to work a bit harder.

I like to help student recall the information through games, role playing and brain storming activities. Working in groups is also helpful for those students who are still building their confidence.

Wendi,
I use these three formats as well and my students really like working through them. All three are ways to increase engagement and get them to using the content that has just been shared.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I communicate to my students the importance of copying down notes and writing them a few times in order to retain information.

Billie,
Repetition is a powerful learning tool and the more we an show our students the value of it the better. By writing and rewriting notes they are helping to move the content into their working memory making it available as needed.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment