Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Critical Thinking

Does critical thinking play a role in emotional intelligence?

Hello Anthony,

Yes, I believe it does. Through my research I have come to believe that rational reflective thinking implies the capacity to bring reason to hold toward emotions, if for no other reason than that our emotions and feelings are deeply inter involved with our beliefs and actions. "I FEEL defensive, it is because I BELIEVE that you are accusing me of____. Therefore I will argue or defend myself in the discussion." Through critical thinking as I grasp we gain a means of assessing and upgrading our ability to judge well. It empowers us to go into a situation and to figure out the logic of whatever is happening in that particular situation. It provides a way to learn from new experiences through the process of self assessment. This then forms sound beliefs and judgements and in doing so provides us with a basis for a (logical) rational and reasonable emotional life.
Interesting though that emotion can sometimes get in the way of critical thinking. Some refer to emotional hijacking, I refer it to egocentric; but highly intense emotions can drive our thinking or lead to action and reaction over critical thinking.
I find it very interesting the powerful role that both emotions and thoughts play in our minds.

Anthony,
I do not have any research to back this up but I think it does. I think one's personality and emotional intelligence shapes how situations are perceived and responses given. Thus critical thinking outcomes are shaped as a result of one's emotional intelligence and experience base.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Anthony,

I would have to say that critical thinking and emotional intelligence don't necessarily go hand in hand, but they can definitely influence each other. As much as I would like to think that rationality should be considered above all else, one has to take everything else into account.

I agree I also think that critical thinking is also based on one's own beliefs and background as oppose to the objective.

Amanda,
This is a very good point and something we need to consider as we work with students in helping them to develop their critical thinking skills. We need to get a grasp on the background and experience they bring to the situation and that will help us to provide the support that is needed for their success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment