Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Problem solving

I have seen that problem solving can be achieved such as when a student is asked how to do a step-by-step process on a software program on his or her own. If they fail the first attempt, I slowly coach them on how to to it successfully. Then on their second attempt, they most often do the function correctly.

Donald,
Repetition and reinforcement are two ingredients of foundations critical thinking. Having the knowledge from which to draw is critical when it comes to problem solving and then have the ability to think through options gives the opportunity for problem solving success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree completely, I am constantly reinforcing and having my students repeat numerous things. Anywhere from naming bones to lab work. Repetition is key in the medical field. Just like the good ole saying goes, "practice makes perfect". I will tell them that practice make you more comfortable with the items you are learning.

Joshua,
Well said and you make a very good point. Repetition enables students to acquire the foundational knowledge needed so they can use retrieve that knowledge quickly when they are in a crisis situation. They need to understand this when they are being drilled over and over on bones, nerves or some other aspect of the body.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have run across a lot of students who would rather "ask a question" rather than "figure it out" for themselves. They know in order to answer the question, you are giving them at least part of the answer. When you don't answer the question for that reason, then you "are not helping" them. Catch 22.

Gayle,
I have been experiencing much of the same from students. I don't have a real good reason for this other than it is easier to ask a question than find the answer personally. We need to encourage our students to pursue answers beyond just running a quick search on the internet. We need to help them develop their reflective thinking skills.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I use the same technique when it comes to food costing in my class. The problem is for them to figure out the yield percentages. At first we go thru each step with full explaination. The next lecture day I review again in full detail. I allow them to try to understand the material before i give them a cheat sheet to practice on. The ones who want this info will learn faster, the others require a little more time.

I so agree as repetition is the key to any skillset whether it's math or cooking. In all my classes i always stress this component that repetive practice is the key to fully understand the concept. I use visuals with my mortar and pestle which i throw on a potters wheel, I tell them the 10, 100, 1000 theory. 10 times you make the same item you kind of understand what is going on, 100 times you have analyze all of your previous faults and have a stronger understanding of what works and what does not, 1000 times everything is damm near perfect and flawless. Then move onto the next challenge and repeat the process ^_^

Glenn,
What a great way to show students that skill and knowledge does not come easy. It does take practice and more practice to get good at anything. I try to explain to my students that if it was easy everyone would be doing it and if they really want to excel it is going to take a lot of hard work and dedication on their part.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I've found we have problems with communication or compliance with our standards and procedures in our school. One key thing that I have found, is that the student wants to be heard and validated not dismissed without a genuine session of stating their grievance. While they may be frustrated, I have found that often times they are already engaged in the process of critical thinking and problem solving because when they approach us with a problem, they also present solutions. So while they focus on the emotional, issue I am now confident in encouraging them to continue in their process of critical thinking and problem solving. While it may frustrate them in this school setting, it will help prepare them to accurately and professionally handle these types of situations in their working field. A wise friend once told me that problems do not present themselves without solutions- and oh to be the one who finds it!

Lindsey,
Thank you for this informative comment on problem solving. You have a very wise friend because the statement that this individual shared with you is one that we all can benefit from and grow with.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

as we have learned through th eincubation process a students subconscious will continue working after the first attempt at a problem, so by the time a student tries the same problem again they will be better equiped to to more successful

KEVIN,
Experience is a powerful instructor. The more experience the options students have to solve problems and think critically.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

yes repitioin and use of models and illustrations and hands on work helps with imparting knowledge

I understand the catch 22 my friend I tell my students all the time I can answer any question you have but until you go into the lab and do it for yourself you wont completely understand, some rather over analyze then just put in the time and effort

Sign In to comment