Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creative Thinking #4

I agree on a part it says, "A good way to define the problem is to write down a concise statement that summarizes the problem, and then write down where you want to be after the problem has been solved."

Cecilia,
This puts the problem in a clear format because it is written down and there to see and think about. Then the critical thinking process can begin leading to a successful solution.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I believe that the first step in creative thinking is to recognize that there is a problem. Once we recognize the problem we can start to think of workable means for solving the problem. We then have to prioritization and create an order of precedence in the steps to solve the problem. We next have to research all of the relevant facts and recognize that there may be unstated assumptions. The next step is to implement our solution and test the results. Finally we have to fine tune our results to obtain effective results.

Theodore,
Good point because if you don't know there is a problem you will not be able to analyze the situation and start the problem solving process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I had never done this exercise before and found that when I tried this with myself it was very helpful instead of it in a cloud up in my head. I want to encourage the students to try this technique. For example if they dealt with a difficult patient in clinic, I will encourage them to actually write it out, then write out solutions to help them deal with that situation in the future.

Janet,
By doing this you will be giving your students another approach to problem solving. By getting them to slow down and write up possible solutions, analyzing the pros and cons they will start to develop strategies that will serve them well when they get out into their careers and the consequences of their decisions are life impacting.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree. I think the act of writing out the possible solutions is extremely helpful. However I find that my students somtimes have a difficult time prioritizing or deciding on the best solution. My students are required to pass a national board exam. The questions are multiple choice. For many of the questions ALL answers are correct and they are required to pick the BEST answer. This can be very difficult because it requires a secondary analysis or further creative thinking. We spend time in the classroom brainstorming on why certain solutions may be better than others.

Rebecca,
Having test anxiety myself I can relate to the challenge your students face when taking their national board exam. I think your approach is so valuable to them as they prepare to take boards because you have given them some strategies to work through to arrive at the right choice on the exam as well as when they are out in the field.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment