Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engaging Students Through Teamwork

One technique that works well with adult learning is group work. For example, I have students get into groups of 2 to 3. Then students ask each questions from a handout; goal is to get to know the students. Then team members introduce someone other than themselves in the group. This way students establish a "common ground" and there is a sense of camaraderie. This is a positive way to get student participation going in a Communications Class. Any other suggestions?

Bret,

It sometimes helps when you do things like stopping a lecture and having students share their notes or to explain concepts to each other.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Bret,

One technique that I use is I have them separate themselves from their comfort zones and work with others that they normally wouldn't, this way they are placed in a position where they have to learn to see the same thing through another person's eyes and perhaps take a different route towards learning the same goal or achieving the same results.

-Gabriel Alvarez

I actually love this technique as it plays to the strengths of the students in the group on several fronts. However, I wonder if others have advice about how to prevent one person from "doing all of the work" and dragging the other students along. In my classroom, we discuss our group work, which gives me a chance to ask questions of students and evaluate their learning.

Any other thoughts or tips?

Charlotte,

Finding ways for student to reflect during activities such as group work can really help some learners. A good technique to try might be to have students critique other students' work in a non-threatening manner.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I have found that assigning each group a "team leader" can force those students who have a tendency to let others do all the work, step up and be accountable.

I find breaking up the class into teams like a jeopardy game to review for a quiz is a fun activity that helps students learn and gets them engaged and excited.

Susan,

Fun and friendly competition are great things to plan into a lesson. Students will remember more when the things they learn are paired with positive emotions.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I have 4-5 students that are adults and retired from military service, and a lot of times they are in shock and overwhelmed on the way lectures and hands-on has to be done. And my strategy is to seat them next to younger students whom they can help. I call it their partner,and it works. I see to it that teamwork is a big thing in my class to make our lives easy. Everyone should be a team player.

Maria,

Wghat are some of the positive things retired military students bring to your class?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I also use this technique grouping student together of 2-3. I use this technique when we have job skills and critical thinking. Critical thinking gives each student a chance to voice on how they would react to situations in class and the work place. It also help the shy students giving them a chance to interact and voice their opinion and participate in the class activities.

Jacqueline,

Thanks for sharing this post. Role playing is an exceptional tool in teaching students how to deal with challenging relationships they may encounter at work.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I have a class composed of younger students and I also use this method of breaking class into small groups (2-3 ). It works great for me because as previously mention these younger students want instant answers and/or results. Grouping them up they try their best solve questions/doubts and when we reorganize as a whole class, they bring only very specific questions. Many times other groups will have great answers and finally I share with them the answer I was looking for. This motivates them to use class time efficiently, develop good communication and leadership skills. By the end of class everyone has had a fruitful brain exercise session.

Maria,

Getting everyone involved is a key to good teaching. It is great to see you do more than lecture.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Being a nursing instructor in the clinical setting I instill in my groups of students that teamwork is key. And we all have one common goal to provide exceptional patient care. Being a role model for my students to see the interaction and relationship with the facilities staff members sets a foundation for my students. When opportunities for them arise they see that I have a random process in choosing who gets to complete the skill. The facility staff members see this and they are excited to give me these opportunities for my students as well as I am to receive them. Thus, I still include the other students in the group so they are all included in the learning experience. They tend to just fall into place and assume a role in my team. Nevertheless, I reinforce what we experienced and by the end of my shift I still drive home smiling to another important moment to add their learning experience.

Marife,

Thanks for this post. Clinical settings provide a great situation for teachers to mentor and model.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment