Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kevin,
So true and so important. It needs to be ongoing in order for us to keep our enthusiasm for what we do.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I find that after many mods I have found a routine I am comfortable with and yet I have become a little disenchanted with the subject matter. I can tell the class needs a little tweaking, however the routine is so comfortable I haven't changed it. This subject comes at a perfect time and I can tell I am in need of a little refocusing myself. I am realizing I need to change the class for my own variety to keep my enthusiasm up. I have noticed the students are still attentive but tend to mimic my enthusiasm. Thanks for the help in strategy, it helps to guide me as I initiate some healthy change.

Joanna,
I understand your comments completely because I find myself in the same situation ever so often. This session I am teaching six sections of the same course. To stay fresh and remember what class I have told what I am adding new activities and assignments. This way part of the course is new to me as well.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

We as instructors need to refocus because we need to realize that what we are doing is the best way that we can be doing what we are doing. If we do the same thing day in and out we get in a rut and potentially lose the excitement. If we lose it then the students will never have it. We could also be doing something that doesn’t quite hit the nail on the head in driving home the point cleanly.

As an instructor, it is easy to fall into a "routine" where the subject become repetitive each time you start a new class. What the instructor needs to keep in mind is that it may be repetitive for them, but it is new to the students and should be presented to them with the enthusiasm that every class before them has had.

Paul,
Through refocusing we can expand our knowledge of how to be even more effective with our instruction. It needs to be an ongoing process throughout our teaching career.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Mike,
You make a key point with your comment about it being new to the students. It is easy to forget this point after we have taught a course several times. We need to keep our passion for the content high and bring enthusiasm for teaching each time we step into the classroom or lab.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Absolutely, The REFOCUS will allow and help us to see and rework our messages and gain more knowledge. The teacher must always be a student also.

Paul,
Your last sentence really captures the essence of why we need to be life long learners. If we are to teach we have to constantly be expanding our knowledge base as well as our expertise.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Instructors need to RE-ENERGIZE. Refocusing allows instructors to look over the material that they may present over and over again to see how they can present it differently. A new presentation of the same material allows for a break in the monotony that may occur when teaching the same thing over and over again.

Dorothy,
I teach six sections of the same course so I can really relate to your comments. Yes, we have to work to keep our interest up in courses we have taught before. I try to introduce something different in each course so I get excited as the students as to how the new assignment and/or activity is going to turn out.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

For me when my tests are being failed, I get really down on myself. I have to step back and decided if it is my teaching or the student's lack of studying.

Heather,
Good point for reflection because student failure can certainly be based upon a number of variables. Finding and fixing those variables is the key to teaching success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Refocusing also keeps you from getting stuck in a rut and to adapt to the differant class dynamics. Which helps you keep your inthusiasm up at a higher level to help keep everyone motivated

Gregrey,
Yes, it does. It keeps us fresh and excited about coming to class even if we have taught the same class for a long time.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think when we as instructors have been teaching for several years, we can begin to fall in to routines, patterns, habits, etc. Some of those can be great and can help us to be very efficient and a good instructor, others can cause us to be pessimistic and view the course and students in a negative light. If we try to unburden ourselves of unrealistic expectations, remember why we are teaching, empower ourselves with content and knowledge, recognize the great things we have done in the past and try to refocus our attention on helping our students I think that will do amazing things to making our teaching experience as great as it can be for us and the students.

Emily,
Like the way you have analyzed how we need to approach the classroom after teaching for a while. We need to be realistic as we prepare content for our courses. By bringing in new activities we can remain fresh and also reflect on how we are doing our professional best to share content. It becomes the students' responsibility to work hard and practice self discipline to be successful.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Yes I agree!! Even if it just a few deep breaths between classes, clearing out some of that negative "energy" is helpful to giving 100% everyday.

Michael,
Good point about taking a few deep breaths and letting the mind settle a bit. It is amazing how much a brisk walk down the hall between classes can do to clear the brain of fog and get you ready for the next class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The course content gave me the great idea of the index cards for the students to write all they have learned. Great way to reinforce they are spending money to gain skills and knowledge not just throwing it away.

Sign In to comment