Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructors as Motivators

What are some ways you can be a motivating instructor?

I struggle with motivating students. Often they do not have realistic goals. Attempts to help them set realistic short term tasks usually fall flat. I can still be empathetic and enthusiastic about what they choose to pursue.

Sam,
Not unusual. I see many of these students myself so I can really appreciate where you are coming from. These best we can do is to support them and give them counsel in terms of their future. I try to help them shape their realistic goals into realistic goals. If I'm not successful I do know that I have given them a picture of the real world they will be facing and that with some experience they will find out what having realistic goals will bring you.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Students know what to expect in our classroom. I arrive early, the agenda is on the board and each student is greeted individually. I like to begin by linking last week's learning to this week and acknowledging the progress we have made in our learning community.

I also struggle with this. There are certain groups that when I start lab or lecture that I automatically become unmotivated. No matter what I do or say nothing changes. I have even gone so far as a fast walk around the building to get some life into these students.

Jamie,
Good way to set the stage for learning. You have everything laid out for the students so they can see what they are going to learn that session and the progress they are making in the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Linda,
Try to get them all engaged but realize that you won't be able to reach everyone. This was a hard lesson for me to learn as a new instructor but I realized after a while that I was fulfilling my professional obligations and that the end result rested with the students. If you have tried competitions, games, and other engaging activities and still they won't respond you are dealing with issues that are outside of the classroom and they are bringing pressure on the students. They don't see the value and/or application of the content and the probably never will. Sad but a part of what we face as educators.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

First and foremost, the instructor must be a motivating factor in encouraging students to be successful in the course they have enrolled in; one who is a caring professional who brings forth meaning and relevance of course content to what business and industry demand. Bringing in past and present work experiences from the field inspires students to pursue the same career. I call this as "modeling the career" for students who wish to enter the same field of specialization.

I have students of various ages and I have learned that adult learners are active learners and I support them in their goals and reasons to come back to school as well as knowing a lot of them have been out of school for quite a while so I teach them in a way so they don't become frustrated with learning. My younger students are passive learners, with many life issues but whether they are young or old I show a caring and concerned attitude in each individual's situation.

Elaine,
Thank you for these good comments about how an instructor should interact with students and share content. Stories about work experience really capture the attention of students because they help to make the content real and gives it application.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Vivian,
Good approach because you are targeting the different ages of your students with the type of support you provide. This is very important because as you mention different ages learn or at least become involved in different ways.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

If I look at the four cornerstones, I can be a motivating instructor by demonstrating my expertise by incorporating enthusiatic stories of my past experiences that are both entertaining and inspiring to the students. My delivery must be well organized and understandable so that I am viewed as a professional model to emulate. Finally, when I consider having empathy with regards to students' time constraints and other issues, I usually give students enough time at the end of the day or first thing in the morning to read or wrap up any home work assignments. Most students finish the assignment in class but slower students needing extra time can complete it as homework.

Rhonda,
I like the way you lay out how you approach instruction and student learning. I know this approach really engages your students in the learning process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I try to connect the learning to practical applications. I allow students to share their knowledge and experiences in the class. When the students begin to understand how the lessons will benefit their careers, they are more motivated.

I have found that relating professional experiences to the topic at hand provides an insight into what the student may achieve when they have accomplished their goals. I have been afforded the opportunity of a wide and varied professional career prior to education which helps tremendously in presenting germane examples.

Erika,
The more relevancy and application you can introduce the more content retention there will be. You are doing such with your practical applications. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

For me, being a motivating instructor involves finding different ways to deliver material, different ways of reinforcing it, and watching the light come on as students realize they have been learning all the while. Keeping delivery fresh through teachbacks, role plays, and games are some strategies I utilize.

Sometimes I do struggle with motivating students. Most of them work full time, have families, and take ground classes several days per week until 11:00 pm. If they sit still for very long they fall asleep. We take several short breaks over the 5 hour span. It helps.

Denise,
As I teach from 4 until 10 pm I can relate to your comments. It is tough but I feel good at the end of the evening when I have kept them engaged and I know they have achieved the goals I have set for the night.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I can be a motivating instructor by understanding why the student is taking the course. Then I can help them learn new information to help them toward that goal while also helping them build on their current background experience.

Sign In to comment