Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Susan,
That is one of my favorites as well because it so explains how we can continue to fail if we don't do anything different. The easiest thing to do is fail because with failure you can blame others and you do have to put forth any effort or make any decisions. I try as I know you do to burn into the minds of my students that they need to stay enrolled and coming to class no matter what is going on outside of school. By coming to class at least they have a place to be successful and step away from whatever they are facing if only for a few hours.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I use inspirational quotations and expound on them and ask students' opinion or experiences that they might want to share that can be related to the quotation. I also use what I have learned from famous books like 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey and The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck.

Mabelle Joy,
This is such a good strategy to follow. This inspires and encourages your students on a regular basis which is needed because they wear down as they move through the course. They need "perking" up now and then to help them keep their eyes on the end goal of being successful in the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Giving the students realistic goals, encourage students in the classroom, share with the students your ideas.

Roberto,
You use a key work which is realistic in relation to goals. We need to set goals for our students that are based upon the standards of the field that they are preparing to enter. This way they will know the expectations of the field and be better prepared to meet those expectations upon graduation.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

My natural tendency is to appear calm and in control at all times, but I'm afraid that this can appear to students as a lack of excitement about the material. I am working on improving "my style" to make it more animated and enthusiastic. Do you have any tips on making this process more effective?

I have to teach a lot of math in my course so one way that I motivate students to learn the formulas is to apply it to real life. From this they see that there actually is meaning to the formulas we learn and they will be expected to know them on the job.

Edward,
I would look at my next lesson and pick two areas that you are going to ramp up your excitement meter on. This way you are not moving too far out of your instructional style at first but by selecting two you are giving yourself a goal to bring enthusiasm into your lessons. Try using humor, an illustration, story from the field anything that will get you to using different vocal levels, movement, etc. to "sell" the concept you are teaching.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Debra,
This is the way to teach a subject such as math. The more application you can offer them the more relevancy they will see. The more relevancy they see the more engagement they will have. This results in a win win for everyone.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I struggle a little in this area. I find that keeping the students in the know of everything that is going on it helps them stay motivated and not feel so overwhelmed. I am a very organized teacher and I believe that the students appreciate this and it helps them keep on track which I think in turn keeps them motivated.

Pixie,
Students do need to know the expectations of the course and how the course is going to unfold in terms of requirements and deadlines. Periodic updates helps them to feel informed and current. No one likes to be surprised when it comes to knowing about course policies, etc..
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I try to use as many real life examples, as I can, pertaining to what I am teaching as well as personal experiences which really seems to excite them to reach their goal.

Stacy,
The more examples you can share the more value your students will associate with the content. They through the stories can see both application and relevancy to what they are studying.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Instructors can be motivating by displaying energy and interest for the subject area, as well as using stories and examples from real life work experiences.

I find that it is true you need to tailor your lectures to your students and make it relevant to them. Giving examples of my own experiences in situations that resemble their situations etc...

Frank,
Students love hearing stories from their instructors. You are helping to reinforce your course content with your stories. The more the students can see application and relevance the more value they will associate with the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Understanding your students is very motivating. Knowing how they learn and praising them for their successes.

I understand your plight. I try to use real world scenarios. Further, I ask students to lits the steps they plan to take in achieving their goals. Many times, listing the steps is a reality check for the students. It allows them to see what it would take to achieve the goal they have set and at times, they simply need to readjust or revise their goals.

Motivating is synonymous with coaching. A great coach finds ways to motivate each player. Sometimes this comes in the form of "pumping" a player up verbally or a simple pat on the back and spoken to in a soft voice. Point is- each player/student is different. What works for one might not work for the other.

Mark,
Well put. This is why knowing each student as much as possible is important. We need to target our support and encouragement in such a way as to be seen and internalized by each student each time it is given.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment