Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Erica,
This is a very important point that instructors need to remember. My students seem to hit the wall about three fourths through the course. They are worn down and they lose focus so they need a change of pace, fun activity or something that will get them ramped up and excited about how far they have come and how much they have learned.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As educators one must remember that learning occurs within each individual as a continual process throughout the life of the student and that people learn at different speeds it is a natural reaction to be anxious or nervous in a new learning situation. Positive reinforcement by the instructor can enhance the learning process, as can proper presentation and timing of the delivery of the material being presented. The instructor plays an important part in the motivation of the student and positive reinforcement form the instructor will be seen in the retention of the student.

There are times, particularily in hands on lab, where students seem to goof off. I have attempted to motivate them about how important and serious the skills they are learning are..but sometimes I have to use scare techniques to get them back in line. I do not particularily like to do this, but letting them know what could happen if they are not paying attention and mastering their skill almost always seems to motivate them back in line.

It is sometimes unfathomable how much stuff these students face at such a young age.

Valerie,
I agree. I am amazed at the life experiences my students bring to class. It is a wonder for many of them that they are alive do well in school. They have my admiration and I want to do everything I can to help them be successful.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

What you say is very true, but many of my students are not exactly young, themselves. Many of them are retraining for the next half of their lives, or dealing with health issues which forced them out of their career fields. No matter the age, they are all dealing with challenges of some sort or the other.

Wendy

Enthusiasm for the content of the instruction is key!

Amy,
So true and so important.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I am younger than most of my students but have been in the field for nearly a decade. I find that opening up and sharing my personal experiences whether good or bad helps to motiveate them. My horror stories are a big hit and my "moments of victory" make them giggle. Also my past experiences help them understand why we do what we do and why my expectations are high.

In my class.... I never really stand still..I will move around the room. I will catch a students eye and spend a moment talking to just them (it may appear) when actually I continue to the next students. This movement will keep students attention. Animation is another favorite... I feel sometimes that a good instructor can be also viewed as a good actor.

I sometimes have students introduce themselves to the class and give a 30-second "about me and why I'm in this program" speech. I do this so they can practice a good interviewing technique, but more so that all of us in the room can see the experience and the motivating factors that bring each person in the room to the program. I especially do this when I have a new group of students. This gives me a chance to identify how I can keep that motivation going throughout my time with them.

The technic is use to motivate my students is to personalize their fears and short falls as my own. By saying I was once in your shoes, and then reinforce that they can achieve anything they set the minds to. I believe goal setting is the best way for an instructor to motivate students.

When I teach my classes I use humor and animation to reach my students. If I am lecturing on a topic I may use funny analogies to get the students to understand the points. I use the room as a stage so that I can educate as well as entertain my class.

Suzanne,
This approach is what will make learning fun for your students as well as keep them engaged. Keep up the good work and the sharing of laughter with them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The daily issues we deal with regarding students can sometimes be overwhelming. We try to express hope, determination daily to help the students realize and achieve their goals for the future.
We teach them how to overcome obstacles.

By chunking assignments into manageable tasks, I can be motivating. Students are not overwhelmed, and they are successful. Success breeds motivation.

Rapport, energy, enthusiasm about the subject and about them as individuals. The best retention tool, as we all have heard hundreds of times, is a class they don't want to miss, whatever the reason may be.

Jon,
Good point and one that needs to be repeated to us instructors as we prepare our content and delivery. We need to bring our A game each time the class meets.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Become motivated by your own excitement and new subject matter, play learning Games, change the ideas constantly, and motivate your own self to get the new fresh ideas.

Christina,
Passion for your field and enthusiasm for teaching about it goes a long way in generating excitement in the minds of students and this helps them to focus on the content being shared and skills being developed.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment