Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Confidence and teaching.

One part of this lesson talked about how we as teachers will be respected if we show confidence in front of the class. I am a very new teacher, and I have not yet found my footing in the confidence department. I know that it will come with time, but I keep wondering if it is better for me to feign confidence to my students or to be more honest about it? I feel like when I don't have confidence, neither do they, and it creates a terrible cycle. How did you guys cope in the beginning when you were unsure of yourself and your ability to be an effective teacher?

I have taught for over 20 years and I still get butterflies the first day of class. You along with your students are about to being a journey together. , just take the first step and others will follow. It is okay to be nervous. you will learn to channel your nervous energy into something wonderful. Welcome to the teaching world!

David,
I support your greeting for all new instructors. Teaching is a tremendous honor that we have been provided. To share our expertise and knowledge with others while impacting lives is something that none of us should take lightly.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

FUD, in the security world is called Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. The solution for that is quite simple: preparation.

That being said, having FUD is part of being human, so the human rule is, in my opinion, it's better to be honest than to be disingenuous. Feigning confidence really never works because students can really see through it.

As a new teacher, you're going to have plenty of FUD as you go up to the podium. FUD comes from lack of knowledge - asking those questions like:
- What do I do if I mess up?
- What will students think of me?
- Am I sure I know this stuff as well as I need to to teach it?

For me, this is how I apply:

- Messing up: Laugh at yourself and give credit to students who point out your errors. Reward them. The instructor is also part of the learning environment and adult learners will respect a human instructor more than a 'know-it-all'.

- Image: Don't worry about it and don't take it personally. Students will think of you what they will, but college is not a popularity contest. Just teach and don't worry about the ego.

- Knowledge: Practice the material and rehearse prior to preparation. You'll do this a lot, especially when teaching subjects that you've never taught before. But over time, this will reduce as you become more accustomed to your learning environment. In other words, start the learning environment a little earlier - with just you in it and learn yourself.

Humility and being real to yourself and your students are your biggest allies when just starting out.

-R

Rick,
Great overview of how to get through the challenges of being a new instructor. We have all experienced FUD and worked through it, though at the time we probably didn't think we would. As a result we are stronger and have more confidence in our ability to be successful as instructors.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment