Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

stress free

being able to get out the stress and talk to someone can help save a life

Absolutely! I can talk to my coworkers and even my boss about daily stressors in my life. Having good relationships with coworkers can really help make both your professional and personal life go more smoothly.

Indeed! Having great relationships with your coworkers can completely define your work experience. Good relationships make the job easy and it's wonderful when you have people to lean on.

I have communicated with many stresssed out students. They have tons of life issues & the very act of my intently listening to them alleviates part of their stressors.

I like your approach Janet and so true. Sometimes just listening is all students need from us. It's good for them to be able to occasionally vent and get problems out in the open.

I couldn't agree more. Just the fact of listening to a student and/or another instructor can benefit both in relieving stress and can reduce and/or eliminate other potential problems.

Indeed. Venting really helps students and it's important to be there for them in this way when we can.

I agree with you that just listening to your student helps them with stress. Some issues are out of our control. If it is an issue that I feel the student needs to speak to someone that can help them, I will make sure that student goes to the appropriate person that may be able to help them.

Janet you are right. A lot of our students are first time away from home and are not used to dealing with work,school,bills,etc. They really appreciate having someone to talk to/with about these things. If I can get a student to open up I usually see an improvement in attendance,grades, & attitude.

That's good to hear Joe. Sometimes, we are not the best people to listen to student problems. Sometimes students need peer support, family support or even professional support. Sometimes, we must work to identify the appropriate person to hand off to when a student needs help.

talking with others is a great way to see that your not alone. Your not the only one with these problems/stress.........Knowing that someone else is going Thu the same things is the start to elimination

It's true Tyler. It's really nice to be able to connect with others and learn more about the similar challenges they face. When you do so, you realize you're not alone in your problems and others may have solutions that you haven't yet tried.

Listening helps others relief stess. I have students that are stressed out, due to their personal challenges. Students come to me and I listen. A few days past by and they come back to thank me. I care.

I do the same thing. I always try to keep a lively class going, so it is easy to tell when there is a problem. Mostly due to students being on their own and away from their families. We have a lot of students from other countries which makes it really hard for them. I usually start by listening. Most of the time the student works it out just by getting it off their chest. Next would be suggestions based on experience. If it needs to go further, I get them to one of the counselors and stay with them until all the information is presented. Then I try to follow up 2-3 days later to see if they are better.

That's excellent Jamie! I'm so happy to hear that you can be there for your students and give them the support they need. Now let's make sure you have the support you need too!

Totally agree. Talking to someone and just getting it off your chest will make you feel better immendiatley.

It's amazing how quickly you can feel better when you talk things out with others Robert! It's a great way to not only reduce stress but also help others understand where you're coming from.

Sign In to comment