Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Anthony,
I have butchered some names over my 21 years of teaching. I like how you give them permission to butcher your name, if you butcher their name. Perhaps, this idea helps you to focus on how to pronounce your student names.
Patricia

I have this problem too. I can learn them when I make a setting chart. Students seem to like to sit in the same spot each time so when I make a chart I can remember their name. It is just hard when I see them somewhere else.
Josh

Hi Joshula,
Whatever works for you to help remember student names, do it. Try to pick out something unique about each student to help you remember their names other than just in the classroom based on the seating chart.
Patricia

knowing your students namme give a better connection to my students, thuse cerating a better working envirment for students to progress in there class materials

Hi Francisco,
There is an automatic connecton when you know your student names. Students want to be thought of as being important, and you can sure them their importance by memorizing their name.
Patricia

I have new students every three weeks, and am bad at remembering names,but I am going to try some of the suggestions in this forum to improve.

I agree it is important to learn the names of students early in the course. This is a way of personalizing the conversation or attention given to students. However, this is not an easy task, especially if the class is large, or mixed cultural background of students whose names are pronounced with a foreign alphabetical sound.

Generally, what I do to remember student names is that I make a one word note on my roster next to their name. It helps tremendously. The words might include, red hair, Latino, retake, etc.

Hi Scott,
What an awesome strategy to use to help memorize names.
Patricia

Unfortunately, it takes me about 3 weeks to learn everyone's names. Usually it's because I have nothing to relate the name to the face until I get to know a little about them.

I've read about techniques, like making some personal association with their name, but it doesn't always work for me.

Hi Joseph,
Fortunately, I am very good at learning student names. I learn my student names on DAY 1. You may want to try name desk tag for the first week to help you learn your student names faster.

I agree that it is important to learn your students names. I do find it difficult to remember them, as we have new faces every three weeks. But I try my best.

Hello David,
Wow, you have me beat. We have new students every five weeks. You certainly have a challenge. Try using name tags or desk name tags for the first few days. This tactic works.
Patricia

when learning student names i like to make it a game for myself, i am luckey that we have lab groups so i start by learning a group at a time or if something funny happens instantly a nickname has been made. the students like it and its a lot of fun.

Hi Andrew,
If making learning names fun for you works continue to do it. Students enjoy having the fun.
Patricia

Oh ... I am so bad at remembering names, especially when the class load is 15 and higher. At one time, I created nametags for the students. I believe this was a great idea, but only temporary. In another scenario, I referred my memory to an attendance roaster, which I created. This allows me to get up from my desk and call on students. I still need an effective method to remember each student.

-Alyce Dexter

Hi Alyce,
Name tents work well too.
Patricia

Hi Anthony:

I like your idea of pointing out that if you remember them they are either doing something very right or very wrong. Does it seem to anyone that students that crave the limelight want to make sure you know their names?

John

Hi David:

That sounds like an excellent approach that I will try immediately! I make seating charts but realize that sometimes students change seats, causing me some confusion. A blank seating chart every class would be helpful! i also like the idea of jotting down something that will help you remember the student. I usually ask students for contact info like phone numbers and email that they use on the first day of class, along with hobbies and fun facts about themselves while I give them some background info on me as an icebreaker in day one. It works!

John

Hi John,
Yes, some students will do what ever is necessary so that you remember them. I've had students to tell me, "You will never forget me."
Patricia

Sign In to comment