Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Making terminology stick

The terminology course that I teach is overall somewhat short, but our class times are lengthy, which equates to covering significant amounts of material. I am always looking for new and fun ways to get my students engaged and involved. I think games are the way to go, making it a fun environment, therefore decreasing anxieties about learning the material. There are so many great suggestions posted, thanks to all and I am excited to learn more. I plan to implement these new strategies the next time I teach terminology.

Christina, I'm very encouraged by your willingness to try new ideas. Good luck and enjoy!

Michele Deck

Although the classes I teach are also relatively short in length, they require that lots of material to be covered witin them. I am eager to learn different teaching tools o that that I can make the material both infomative & fun.

Sophia, it is the universal challenge to teach a large amount of content in a short period of time. The best teachers I've had balance that with activity that reviews and reinforces.

Michele Deck

I am so much looking forward to taking this course. I have been teaching A&P for a few quarters now and just recently taught Medical Terminology. Having now taught both classes, I understand how important it is for the learners to remember the medical terms they were taught. It is the foundation to there medical education. I know review the most common medical terms for each A&P chapter. I am looking forward to the different activities that we will be learning in this course - I imagine I will be able to use them in other courses as well.

Linda, thank you for your enthusiasm. I have invested many years into teaching with these methods. I'm sure you will see positive results with them!

Michele Deck

I also teach A & P so I will often talk a little about the anatomy when I teach the medical words. Students find it more interesting. I also tell them to make up crazy sayings because we will often remember silly things.

Joan, thank you for encouraging your learners to make crazy sayings to make the terms stick. That definitely works.

Michele Deck

I am looking forward to this course as well. I am not even teaching Medical Terminology this quarter. However, it is one of the classes I usually do teach. I love having the brand new students and helping them get off to a good academic start! Currently I am teaching Pathophysiology and Pharmacology. In both classes I hear myself referring to Medical Terminology often. You are absolutely correct when you say Medical Terminology is the foundation of the student's entire medical education. I am also thinking that I will be able to implement some of the ideas being taught in this course into the classes I am currently teaching.

Susan, thank you for seeing that the suggested methods in this course are applicable to your other classes.

Michele Deck

I like to use visual aids for my students learning medical terminology. For example, the wood root "gastr" meaning "gastric" or referring to the stomach, I have the students visualize a gas truck, and the tank of the truck is shaped like a stomach. It's fun and my students remember !!

wendy, thank you for sharing this fun, simple visual idea to create memory in your learners.

Michele Deck

I am new to teaching, and Medical Terminology was my first class. I learn from the students each day. Keeping them engaged is a challenge I enjoy.

Emily, I'm glad you are enjoying the challenge. Keep up the good work!

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment