Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Change is Inevitable

Change is a good thing.

Sharon,

HI Sharon
Yes,we agree that change is a good thing. Your answers tend to be very short and of course powerful. When dealing with a team, usually people need a bit more information to turn the concept into action. You might want to talk about change and understand how your staff interprets the idea. Then ask with them what change should be made at your school and how you will measure it. Let us know. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Change is inevitable and good but is often met with resistance. People tend to get into a rut and are afraid of change. Good communication skills with effective metaphors is needed to help motivate the people to make the change happen in a successful way. They have to be on board to be successful, and to make the change powerful and effective. Frequent following up and encouragement with acknowledgement goes a long way to accomplish this goal.

Katherine,

We agree. Change is inevitable. We can ignore it or get on the exiting ride of making a difference. The career school sector needs to change to survive. Sometimes that means doing things 360 degrees differently. It make take a dedicated culture of change. We can learn from those companies who are changing their work environment because they simply want and need different results. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I find myself straddling a line between embracing change and resisting it. It's difficult for me to accept change when I feel the current process is more tedious or more involved. Sometimes it feels as if "higher-ups" do not understand the day-to-day workload when it is decided to implement new processes. As I read through this training, I am learning ways a supervisor can help subordinates embrace change; however, what are some ways an employee can embrace change they feel is thrust upon them?

Candace ,
We feel that managers need to ask their staff to identify the problem or potential problem and then come up with suggested solutions. In that way there is a Team approach and everyone can come up with ideas that are valued and agreed upon. We think change is a part of life. When you say "inevitable" it sounds negative. What makes change fun is to forecast, be prepared for it, and even be ahead of it. Know what programs are needed next year that you can add now to anticipate the need. Discover what jobs will no longer be needed making some of your training obsolete. Get everyone involved in change. It can be fun. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Dr.Schulz,

Thank you for the advice.

Would you please email me a certificate of completion?

Thank you,
Candace Montgomery

Candace ,
Thank you. the certificate of completion is sent directly from MaxKnowledge after you complete all the requirements for the course. If any questions please contact support@maxknowledge.com. Hope that works for you. Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

The way that most works for me is to try to find the opportunities that exist in the change. Or to sound a little self-centered, "how can I make this change work in my favor?" If you can do that, then when faced with the inevitability of change, it will be the wave on which you can surf.

-R

Rick,
Great way to deal with change, which as you point out will happen with or without you. The goal is to watch for changes and trends and think about how to benefit fro, it. For example, what new training will be needed in your community as a result of new industry moving in? Once determined you can plan the new programs, seek approvals, etc. What new target student groups are or will soon be available for your school to serve? Certainly veterans and service families as a start. What changes need to be made at your institution to properly meet their needs? Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Change happens, good or bad, it's how we handle the change that matters.

I wouldn't say all change is good. It depends on how you handle the changes. However, change is inevitable and one should just try and see how they can adapt to the change and see what positive results will come from it.

Jennifer,
Well said. This means that your organization needs to know that change is ok and it is great to innovate around change. If change is a given it is important that our Team knows to watch for trends, which indicate there is change. They need to think about how to benefit from it. It takes a mind set. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Toni,
Change is inevitable. Lots of people know that but really don't know what it means or the opportunities that surround change. Many think that change is something to have to deal with - like something bad. What would happen at your institution if people were taught to embrace change and create new ideas and ways of doing things. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Every organization needs to embrace change in one shape or form in order to stay competitive. The challenge is getting employees to understand and embrace change. I have one supervisor in particular who hates change. I have another who cannot wait for it. The trick is in getting buy in from each. It takes longer with the first supervisor, but she eventually comes around.

Leslie,
Interesting situation. There are people who are fearful of change and we can't change them. It's ok. What we can do is show them how to handle change on the job. Make it safe by giving clear processes. Make it fun by taking away the seriousness of it. Make it part of the job just like the other tasks they do. They may still not like change but will have the skills and mindset to deal with change when at your school. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

It is true change is always happening and that leads to a good point: Do not stay stuck in the past a lot of people stay focused in the past not willing to move forward and accept change. This effects leadership like if everybody were to say "If it ain't broken don't fix it". there would be no room for change. Change is Inevitable.

Jacob,
Great points. We also believe in the importance of focusing on today and tomorrow. I tell my Team that I'd be rich if I could figure out how to re invent the past! The goal is to learn from mistakes of the past and move on and not take a long time to do that. Also we focus on doing things differently and more effectively. We have goals and routes to reach them. We ask ourselves - how are we doing, what opportunities are there, how can we benefit from these opportunities, what do we need to do differently?? It makes for fun and productive days and lots of Team work. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment