Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

End of section review

To be sure my teaching strategy is effective and ensure my students are meeting the objectives I often review after every section in a chapter the key points and things they will see again on a test. I also give multiple tests on one chapter that are not cumulative but cover the specific information that was stated in the objectives. Through this practice I have seen overall grades increase and also students retain the information at the end of the quarter better.

Repetition and review opportunities greatly increase the chance of a student's mental retention of the material.

I have been having a hard time reviewing at the end of each section I cover in class because we are always a little behind schedule. Without the review time I have noticed the students are not as proficient in the information we have been covering. The size of the class seems to have an impact on how much of the lesson we can get through at each time.

I also find that reviewing the presented information at the end of class is very helpful to keep students focused on the important points of the lecture. This helps to give direction for the students study sessions.

I give end of chapter day quizzes and materials for my student. I believe this is a great way to control the understanding of the materials and also it helps with students that love to miss class. I do not allow quiz make up.( usually the student find ways to show up for class) The end review and quizzes are designed to help the student study and understand the materials. If each student participates in class and passes their quizzes they should have no worry when taking the chapter test. I find that repeating things in many ways helps the student store more long term memory. This means that I do agree with section reviews. I do not review the day of the test because I have found that many students can get confused during the review. The students should be prepared the day of the test.

Great information

I agree, with a good preveiw/overveiw the students have some idea of the important points to listen for in the lecture, and a good reveiw at the end, as well as rereview during demonstrations students seem to do better in lab and on tests repetition, repetition, rep......

Stephen,

I also find that providing an overview of the class session, provides the students with an outline of the important topics that will be discussed in the lecture. This assists them in formatting their notes and paying attention to the important details.

Tremayne Simpson

I have each student submit 5 questions and answers to be used as a chapter review. After discussing these questions, I make a copy of all questions and allow the students to use this as a study guide.

I agree. I review after every chapter and sometimes a couple of times depending on the content material and how much time is allocated to it. I do this especially with A & P. I do a general review, highlighting things that may be in their test and also in preparation for their final certification but I also do a Q & A which establishes a general level of understanding and consolidates existing knowledge.Another useful tool is a study guide which helps in understanding content as well. I do this every now and then depending on how much time I assume most of my students are investing in studying on their own. Sometimes, they tend to rely solely on the stated study guide to the detriment of studying the chapter notes. I just try to find a balance with this.

Thomas,

I have used this method as well. Interestingly, I have found that the students can create some pretty difficult questions, which only makes the overall study guide a more effective tool for review.

Tremayne Simpson

after every chapter i review all the topics and lab procedures before i give a quiz. they interact with each other and we play Q&A games; having students ask other students questions to get the answer. if they answer correctly, they then ask the question to the other students

I find that a review lets me know what the students understand and shows me what I need to share with them using a different approach to help them have a clear grasp on the subject.

I agree. The use of chapter key points and reviews are good teaching strategy. It helps the students a lot.

having students review material is a great way to improve their retention

Sign In to comment