Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

what are some ways to motivate students to seek knowledge for ownsake

I find that students often just want the answers from the teacher. They try to get the exact questions that will be on a future test from the teacher. Instead of trying to explore ideas and concepts for their own sake. Any thoughts on this common issue?

Bret,

Perhaps because I teach sociology, I have not had this experience. I have had few instances and I have pointed it out (that they are trying to get the questions for a test) and the class has chuckled at it.

Judy Mohammed

recently I have a group of younger students that keep asking for study guides that just give them the answers for the upcomming test. the older students understand that just giving them all the answers is not going to teach them anything. This mix has posed some very difficult problems when it came to my evaluation from the students. My older group, grateful that I made them think would give me good reviews as the younger ones who did poorly because I would not give them the answers cruxified me, costing me a merit raise. I really want to get through to ALL of my students that I have their best interest at heart when I do give a study guide and make them think for the answers. I have tried to pair older/younger students together so that they can learn from each other, this has helped somewhat. What has helped is to turn the tables, and have the students do the teaching, this has made them more aware of what it takes to actually stand up in front of a group and teach.

Holly,

I am glad that he group teaching has helped you. I have my students give presentations and they understand then why it is important to pay attention and not interrupt the class. One thing that has worked well for me is that I tell everything on Day 1. I let them know that my goal is their success and I tell them exactly what I expect from them and how they will be graded. I give as much written information as I can in my class expectations. I am sorry that this affected your merit raise, however, I have learned that you cannot please all of the people all of the time. I can certainly try to do the best job that I can.
Judy Mohammed

I also give study guides for my lab classes.I explictly tell them they are a guide and this should be used in conjunction with the textbook and notes they have taken. When I am lecturing I stop and ask questions and I can tell which students have utilized all their resources by the questions they have asked me. I like to give senerios and what if's to peak their curiosity.

Deborah,

This is excellent. You are preparing your students for success and, should they heed you, they will definitely succeed in your classes. Students do not realize how much we are their cheerleaders.

Judy Mohammed

I teach medical billing and coding and this course requires a lot of terminology and being able to picture a procedure in order to code it. If the class fails to become engaged on days when we are in lecture or group coding I stop what I am doing and have a student research the term or the procedure. I can't "preach" it enough that I do not know everything and neither will the student, especially when dealing with the medical field, however, don't just sit there and wonder, research it. We also talk about the different avenues that this career can/will take.

Carmela,

I do the same as you do. I let the students know that I do not have all the answers. When questions arise, I ask the students to do the research and I also do the research.

Judy Mohammed

I think you have to show the students that they can improve so much more if they have an interest in what they do. For instance, I encourage my students to go out to different restaurants and explore different flavor profiles organized around the theme of each block of lessons so that they not only learn from the class they also get to explore. The exploration aspect, in turn, creates interest and a desire to learn more.

I encourage my students to seek out the answers to questions themselves. I give a general review prior to all quizzes/exams, and to get the answer, someone must give the answer to the general question. I often give extra credit to find answers to questions that come up in class. And I lead by example. I talk about how I am learning/relearning items by reading assigned chapters, etc. and through continuing education which is mandatory to maintain my certification. I talk about seminars I attend and new techniques/procedures/ideas learned at these seminars and how they apply to our career/field.

Jimmy,

This is a great way to encourage exploration outside of class. It may create issues for those who cannot afford to eat out.

Judy Mohammed

Sharon,

This is great. I always let my students know that I do not have all the answers and we all need to do the research for the correct answers.

Judy Mohammed

I have a difficult time in that most of the things we learn as a class are memorization items. It is a foundational class that has lists and vocabulary and there is not much higher-level thinking. Are there any ways to include open style questioning in this regard? Students do not study with flash cards as I have to learn these things.

Paul,

You cam ask questions about the terms or basic processes and you might be surprised at how much information students can bring to the classroom.

Judy Mohammed

I find the study guide thing very frustrating. We go through lecture, discussions, textbook projects and lab projects to get the information across. Yet after all that someone always asks "Is there a study guide?". Then I get probing questions about what is on the test.

To combat this I often describe how in the field a large portion of your time can be spent researching and teaching yourself to arrive at an answer or at least form a methodology. There will not always be someone around to provide answers at a moments notice.

This is more pronounced with younger students of course. Just last week I had a student unabashedly using SIRI to answer textbook questions that have the answers in the back of the book!

Before almost every test my students ask me "What is going to be on the test?" I often reply that "everything that has been covered during lectures".
To motivate them I ask them to formulate or make questions and turn them in, and I promise to include their question(s) on the next test. This is a standing offer to all my classes. In the 10 years I have been teaching, the number of questions that I have got from students can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

I also have to deal with students who want to know just enough to pass the test. Students have been taught "to the test" for so many years in schools, that it is difficult to "undo" this approach to learning when they come to my classes. I try to demonstrate the connection between so called "book knowledge" and practical real life situations. I suggest that you continue to do what you are doing to help your students. Keep up the good fight!

Sign In to comment