Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Set the tone early, that will dictate and predicate how the rest of the classes go.

Sharing information about yourself is just as important as the students sharing information about themselves. Opening the floor to the feeling of being known by name generates teacher-student respect. 

The first day of class needs to be interactive. Get to know students and allow them to get to know each other. Facilitate those opportuntities for them to connect.

I would like to explain to them my diverse background of different careers. This may help some students relate or open up to me in the future. 

The first day will set the tone for the term. Allowing students to feel comfortable will help their learning as they progress. Make sure to learn the names and correct nicknames the student prefers to be called.

It's important to introduce yourself and tell your students about your background in the field but also think about information that might make you relatable to them so they not only see you as an instructor but also a person. 

Make the students feel comfortable by introducing yourself but also giving just some small background information about yourself. 

I like the idea of standing at the doorway at the beginning of class and welcoming the students in.  Study guides will help provide students a roadmap of what will be covered.  Some "getting to know you" time will help to ease anxiety and aid students in getting familiar with one another. 

It is good to get to know something about your students, and tell them a little bit about yourself. 

Sign In to comment