Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students need to feel that they are getting their money's worth out of your class. They know that it is expensive but if they learn something, then it was worth it.

Response to relevance varies due to the number of different programs/paths of study reflected in my classes. As I teach computer courses, though, it's easy to point out how pervasive computer skills have become in every line of work. This pervasiveness helps me to keep the students focused on the point of the topics presented.

I agree. Students often mention the cost of their education, however, it's usually the ones who are troublemakers. The ones who really know the value of a good education are usually very attentive, and too busy to remind the instructor that he or she is paying a lot for the class.

Greg,
This is why relevance and application is so important in the teaching process. The more of these two elements they can see and use the more value they will associate with the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Michael,
You have a real in with your students as a result of the subject you teach. I am sure your students start seeing early on in the course the value associated with what is being taught and they skills they are developing.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Shelia,
This is so true based upon my experience. The challenging students think because they have paid tuition they have "bought" an A. A real shock when they find out that this is not the case. They have to work hard and earn their grade just like all the other students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This helps with real world situations so they undestand what they learn is whats happening in this industry

Jeff,
By having this understanding the students will have an easier transition to employment because they know they have the skills and knowledge to be successful. This helps in building their self confidence.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I try to show my students relevance through my life experiences, (successes' and mistakes). I also like to use hands on in the lab to show the relevance of what the are learning in the book.

Richard,
These two methods are great ways to get students engaged in the learning process. Students like to use their life experiences as well as hear about the life experiences of their instructor and to become involved via hands on with what is being taught.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Service learning is for the students an excellent idea to motivate, and to show the applicantion and the course relevancy.

Beatrice,
I am a big fan of service learning as well. I think this learning approach helps students to use what they have been learning along with seeing if they really enjoy being in that career field and if they want to continue their education efforts.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment