Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Scaffolding by Introducing Skills at a Slower Pace

One other way I have found to provide a scaffold is to reduce the amount of information, or the number of skills, that must be learned at one time. To use an example from the course material, learning to ride a bike was discussed.

The use of training wheels is an example of the scaffold used so that the learner could practice repeatedly until the scaffold was no longer necessary. Another approach would be to remove the pedals from the bike so the learner would push along with their feet. Once they achieved the balance to push and coast for distance (skills of balance and steering), you could reattach the pedals and introduce the skill required to pedal. Steering and balance would have been already mastered and the learner could then focus on learning the additional skill of pedaling.

Robert,
Thank you for this good example of different ways to help a person to learn to ride a bike. This is what scaffolding in learning should be about. The key is to keep students engaged for the duration so they can see the progress they are making as well as the end result--success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Spot on, Rob. In my courses, typically 1-2 week professional development programmes, we have tried to use a lecture-discussion-simulation model to teach complex processes. This allows us to introduce a segment of the process, give small groups (5-6) students a chance to discuss the application of the concept in a few mini-scenarios, after which the small groups then discuss their conclusions--usually no black/white answers--with the larger group, and then finish with a practical exercise of each segment. They build throughout the course to a final, scenario-based simulation on the last day(s). By scaffolding the steps of the process the students gain confidence and are prepared to put all the steps together in the final simulation.

One of the ways that a scaffold can provide help for a student is allowing them to have a single page of notes for the examination. This will help students prepare for an examination. Eventually, as the course progresses, the page of notes allowed will be smaller and smaller. At the end of the course, the page or card of notes will not longer be allowed on the examination. This will gradually help the students to retain more and more information as the course progresses.

Davina,
I am a big fan of scaffolding for the reasons you list. It is a sequential way to learn and there are checks for understanding along the way that let you know if you need to review something or the next topic can be covered. Thanks for sharing this strategy with us. I know it will be helpful to other instructors as they look for ways to present their material.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I don't like the concept of removing the pedals because then the bicycle becomes more like a scooter relying on foot power.
I also want to mention that aside from REMOVING a training wheel as part of the learning (scaffolding) process usually one or both training wheels can be RAISED so they touch the ground less but are still there for support if necessary and the rider learns to ride without them

Kenneth,
Like the idea of moving the training wheels up a bit and letting them be there for support if needed. Thanks for this idea in how to use scaffolding.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment